Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Up RJMIX
Hi!

Again, a cool track to mix.
I did nothing special here. I only found the acoustic guitars and drums had some serious low-mid problems which I tried to tackle with EQ. Also I quickly comped the vocal takes. I flipped phase in one of the kick of the final drum parts, because I found it gave the kick more weight.

Cheers!

RJ

.mp3    Catching Up RJMIX1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.1 MB)

.mp3    Catching Up RJMIX1b.mp3 --  (Download: 5.1 MB)

In general I think this is a great mix. There isn't really much to criticize.

When the big drums enter I feel the snare is lacking some oomph. This might be resolved by flipping some polarities of snare(s) and/or OHs.

A really challenging issue to tackle here is the vocal tone and amount of compression. Occasionally I feel the LV is a tad dull but if you'd make it brighter, the esses might become a problem. Sometimes a tiny bit of distortion mixed underneath the main vocal might help to increase precence.

I personally felt that I'm hearing too much compression on the vocal. I don't mean there's too much of it but I feel it's too audible. Perhaps a tad slower attack might ease it off (might also help the precence) or putting the super-compression on parallel so the uncompressed (or less compressed) track will mask it underneath it.
Thanks for listening and giving your feedback!

You were right: I had to flip the phase of the OH (funny, this is normally one of the first things I check during mixing, but something went wrong there Smile )

I think I kind'a agree with what you meant regarding LV compression, and I slowed down the attack; I think this is better!

Check MIX1b.

Cheers!

(05-01-2014, 03:25 PM)Spede Wrote: In general I think this is a great mix. There isn't really much to criticize.

When the big drums enter I feel the snare is lacking some oomph. This might be resolved by flipping some polarities of snare(s) and/or OHs.

A really challenging issue to tackle here is the vocal tone and amount of compression. Occasionally I feel the LV is a tad dull but if you'd make it brighter, the esses might become a problem. Sometimes a tiny bit of distortion mixed underneath the main vocal might help to increase precence.

I personally felt that I'm hearing too much compression on the vocal. I don't mean there's too much of it but I feel it's too audible. Perhaps a tad slower attack might ease it off (might also help the precence) or putting the super-compression on parallel so the uncompressed (or less compressed) track will mask it underneath it.

(05-01-2014, 07:08 PM)ERJEE Wrote: Check MIX1b.

Liking it! Smile