Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is This Thing Called Love
Hello Everyone,
This is my first time posting a mix. I worked really hard on this mix and it has been a challenge. Learned some new things along the way. Let me know what you think. Good, bad or indifferent. There is no compression on the individual tracks and very little on the master to maintain most of the dynamics. There is a ton of radical eq on each track to clean and keep the instruments from fighting. I used a reference track from Bob Katz as my guide.

.mp3    What is This Thing Call Love ALX Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.36 MB)

Quite nice mix, I like it.

Some things that come to mind: The snare sounds too distand, it sounds like the snare and the toms are further back in the picture than the cymbals, or the cymbals are to close. I like the clarity and the top end in the bass, but it sounds to me that there are some frequencies around 100-120 which sligthly resonates, not a huge problem though. The piano itself sounds good to me. It appears to me that the main issue is the debth in the song, the cymbals appear to be in front, then the bass, then piano, and lastly snare/tom/kick. Piano should be in front at all times, except during bass solo perhaps, but then the piano isn't playing much, thus giving space for the bass.

Just my two cents, other than that, not bad at all. Smile
I really appreciate your input sivert_h. I had reduced the high shelf on my monitoring system because I thought I was too bright. I set it back to flat and I heard exactly what you were talking about. Your input may have help me finally get my monitoring system right. I will take a listen to your mix on my mains and reply in your tread.