Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The One - Scott's Mix
Hey guys and gals,

Here is my attempt at this song. Can be overwhelming at first with the amount of tracks provided (and how unorganized they are when you first load them). Once you get some things sorted out, the mix comes together pretty quickly. Overall pretty happy with the way mine turned out. Wasn't a big fan of how loud and boomy the toms were in the original mix so I tried to even out the drums without taking away too much of the dynamics. Let me know where I can improve this one. Thanks again!

.mp3    The One Mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 5.08 MB)

Happy new year, Scott.

I haven't seen or heard the tracks or attempted a mix - but may give this one a try. The audio stream can be a bit deceptive here too - so I'll just comment on what 'sticks out'. I love the sound of the bass - but the drums are way underpowered. The drums and bass 'should' be driving this song (imho). When the song gets loud, it's swimming in reverb and I'm guessing the tracks have heavy FX printed to them and that doesn't help the mix ? The energy level of the guitars are too loud for when the drums come in - and generally too loud (and out of balance) at the chorus. I'd also pay some attention to the vocal levels as they disappear unnaturally at times. A bit automation will help there. I've listened to the mix 4 times now and still have the same view. Hope this has helped in some way and I think I will go on to do a mix.
Hello

In intro the lead guitar is too loud. When drums come in they sound kind of weak. The energy level of the song isn't growing.
Like at beginning we have big guitar and then big drums come in and together they sound even bigger. You have to build that part kind of backwards.
To me it sounds like the lead voc is little weak and that lead guitar has a little too big role.
Lead voc could use some automation also because there are quite big level differences in verse and chorus.
That lead guitar fx could be a little less after the intro so it wouldn't take room from other instruments.
Are those keys and e-drums little low when compared to guitar and snare? Could also be that those fit better if you take guitar a little lower.
I like the tom sounds but they kind of sound like they are from a different drumkit. Really deep and boomy compared to snare and kick but that can be just a matter of taste.
Those comp guitars have a good dark sound that fit to rest of your mix.
The bass is really clear in verses but in choruses it falls behind the guitars. Not necessarily a bad thing as those dark comp guitars fill that low part.
The energy of the song drops too much at the outro when guitars stop. Try bring other instruments drums and choir more up front.
Same thing as in the intro but reversed. Slowly let the mix come to an end.

And to Robert.
Read the first post "About this multitrack" by Mike Senior so you get a preview what to expect.
There isn't any really heavy fx. Guitars are DI-signals and toms are both live and samples and bass also di and amp.
Just be warned. There is a lot of tracks and lot of work to do, but for a good song it is really nice to work hard.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
I downloaded the tracks right after making my previous post and started a mix. I'm glad I was a bit cautious about making assumptions about the tracks because they are actually very well recorded. I wish I had read Mike's 'About this multitrack' first; and now better informed about general situation, I think Moonwrist's observations are right on the money, Scott. My own wix will follow shortly.