Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Much too much - voelund
Hey Voelund.
A good choice to predominantly use the room tracks in this song. The overall mix is much smoother than I could achieve trying to bring the solo horn tracks into focus and wrestling with fluctuating volume & tonal changes as the performers shifted their bell positions slightly off mic.

I'd only suggest bringing the vocals up a bit (and ride the fader to keep them above the louder swells or when she sings quieter) and controlling the bass volume a bit more - it was a tricky instrument to get right as it wanders in and out. Clamping a medium ratio (6-8:1 ratio) compressor with a long release time and suitable makeup gain could help with this, and scooping some of the 200Hz mud out of it will make it sound a bit less murky...maybe adding a little 800Hz upper mid audibility and 2kHz 'presence' to the bass might work (I have honestly forgotten what I had to do to try to fix it)

This was a deceptively difficult track to work with and I think you have put together a really good mix.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thank you for takin the time to listen and give very useful tips on improving. As I remember it were hard for me to lvl the vocal as it were either too separated from the band or not audible, so I choose somewhere inbetween and it has lots o automation. Both bas, guitar and piano sounds splendid in your version, sometimes the food picture is very handy: I served a stew and you made a tasty plate with evrything tastefully arranged.

Nothin wrong with stew but I will take your advice if I go to mix it again and also use your track as reference. Really like that guitar Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yeah Man!! That's what I'm talking about!! It's not how much time it took you "mixing" this song but how much love you put into it mixing it!! Love the your version the most. Very balance and the automation is spot on.
Glad you think so ! Thank you sir !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I like this mix. the horns sit quite well. maybe a tad too long a reverb on the Bone solo at the 1st break but that might just be room as well (busy downloading this to have a stab at it). The vox sits good, only once or twice did it feel that the horn stabs were killing it a little but nothing serious. The drums actually are where they must be, seeing that big band jazz doesnt really focus on drums except in the parts where they support just the bass and piano. Nice bright mix!!
"Anything too dumb to be spoken should be sung" Know your bones - aKing
Really enjoyed listing to this mixBig Grin
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
Mahatma Gandhi

Hey man this sounds dece! XD