Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flesh And Bone mix
Hi guys,

New to this forum/website...what an amazing resource!

Here's my take on the song. I was immediately drawn to the pedal steel/vocal interplay which forms the focal point of my mix. I wanted the stand-up bass to sit in behind and used the accordion as a pad. The acoustic guitar fills between bass and accordion.

I've left plenty of headroom in the mix-down, an average of -18 dBFS RMS for the whole track, though it gets nearer to -10 dBFS RMS during the loudest parts, so you may need to adjust your speakers up a little.

Thanks for listening....any feedback will be gratefully received

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New mix, 1.3, uploaded below
Woops! I printed original mix-down with reverb channel switched off. Updated mix-down attached

.mp3    Flesh And Bone.mp3 --  (Download: 12.64 MB)

Just took a swing at this, and saw your mix on here. I think you've improved a lot from this mix. I feel like the center channel is really small and feels cramped somehow. I hear your panning, and it's a pretty wide mix, so maybe that's why I feel cramped. The instruments on the side seem separate from the middle, and the middle just feels a little jammed up. I've heard a good bit of your newer mixes, and I would love to hear your take on this now. There is nothing glaringly wrong with this mix. . . I just think you can pull more emotion out of it with a re-balance. Not a bad mix, though!

Draper
(17-07-2015, 01:47 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Just took a swing at this, and saw your mix on here. I think you've improved a lot from this mix. I feel like the center channel is really small and feels cramped somehow. I hear your panning, and it's a pretty wide mix, so maybe that's why I feel cramped. The instruments on the side seem separate from the middle, and the middle just feels a little jammed up. I've heard a good bit of your newer mixes, and I would love to hear your take on this now. There is nothing glaringly wrong with this mix. . . I just think you can pull more emotion out of it with a re-balance. Not a bad mix, though!

Draper

Hey Draper,

Thanks for dropping by. I think that this was my 2nd ever mix, the 1st being "Backroom in Tulsa", so I'd hope to have improved a bit since then!

All the Wesley Morgan songs are so great to mix that absolutely, a fun project would be to remix this and BRIT and do them the justice they deserve.

Thanks buddy

Simon
New mix, 1.3, uploaded.

Wholesale remix from scratch with a new session rather than tinkering with the old one. New panning and levels, new FX plus used mute button (quelle horreur!) on accordion for first two verses - mainly 'cos I wanted a stronger accordion presence 2nd time around but it was too much for whole song.

.mp3    Flesh & Bone_ HB Mix 1.3 Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar