Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: Catching Up (Robert's mix - 30-Dec-2013)
This is a really nice song so thought I'd give it a whirl. What a shame the pedal steel guitar track wasn't recorded properly....all that hissssssss. It really would be worth re-tracking that instrument. Apart from the aforementioned problem, this is an ideal song for beginners. If you're new to mixing, don't be put off by the rather large amount of drum tracks. It's easy to find out which ones support the overall sound. It's always good to have 'options' though. I enjoyed mixing this one and will probably revisit to reduce the vocal level.

.mp3    Catching Up (Robert\'s mix) 30-Dec-2013.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

Very nice Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Great sounding mix, nice job !
Thanks for the kind words, guys ;o)
I'm going to revisit the vocals to iron out some of the odd levels and to get some 'air' into them.
We had a heavy thunder storm a couple of weeks back and I sampled it on a little Zoom H1. Just thought the effect it would fit nicely into the context of song in a couple of places.
Hi Robert,

The mix sounds good. I just have a few concerns which are obviously my personal opinions and you might not agree which I can understand(depends on different monitoring environments). The vocals sound a bit low mid heavy. the acoustic guitar,electric guitars and drum combination sounds a little brittle like they have been boosted in the 3-4k range.Overall the vocals could have been more energetic . Good improvisation with the thunder sound.

Regards,
Blue bus.
Thanks, Blue.
I mentioned I want a bit more 'air' in the vocals, so I'll do that and address your observations when doing my v2 mix.