Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching up - voelund
Mixed this in short sessions during christmas.
For some reason my DAW were not able to make a realtime bounce of it, so I made stems and mastered it that way. Pretty time consumon but a new experience to mea nd I were able to add tiny amounts o bus compression that I found suited the song.
Also added some tape noise, to make it sound old and mask the pedal steels noise, wonder where all that noise came from Big Grin

I thinned the guitars and choose the ones I liked best as replies to the voice and killed the others, some places I left them all, n short I edited the guitars and made a comp o the voice, that was fun.
I deessed it but listenin back I may have been too gentle there.
Added a B3 from Logic and saturated it and placed it where it did what I wanted it to: add padding to the big part.
made a copy of the BV and tuned one note so it fitted the last of the big part.

All in all I think its OK. I kinda like the saturated drums and bas, bas with good help from airwindows mudslide plugin, just love that on bas.

Voice is heavily automated, but is it too loud and too much s´s ??

.mp3    Catching up lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.6 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Great sounding mix. I think the vocal level is just fine. The esses sound too much to me but I way overdid my own. I feel it's a tricky one to get right.
Sounds Great ,love the organ !
The electric guitars sound a touch up front in the 2-4 k area to my ears Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thank you for commenting and observations.
I dipped the electr gtrs round 3 kilo and voice around 10 kilo narrow and made the acc gtrs stereo, the stem cannel were set to mono ...
Also put a noise removal plugin on pedal steel stem, I realised Logic had one.

.mp3    Catching up lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.6 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Sounds great here !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I've heard a few of your mixes and I like this one the most so far. You really have an ear for acoustic guitars. I love the placement of the main guitar in the left channel. The vocals sound great but I notice you like to use slap delays often.. There are a couple moments where it is a little noticeable and distracts me, but that's a matter of preference. The only other thing I heard was the vocals get lost a tad in the second drum breakdown, but not a deal breaker. Very good job on this one, I hope I can mix my version as well as this.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650