Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions - Devil's Words [Mastered By EleKtroFR] (NEED HELP!!!)
Hi guys, i want to post my mix, i think it's not so bad... but i want to hear widener and less muddy my drums! i don't know how to replace kicks and snares in order to make them more powerful!

I'm becoming crazy with this mix, so i really hope you would like it.

I NEED HELP FOR MY DRUMS Sad.

Thanks!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT:
EVERYTHING GOT FIXED !!!!!!!
YOU CAN LISTEN TO MY LATEST VER IN THIS REPLY (2ND TRACK POSTED) OR IN THE LATEST REPLY OF THIS THREAD.

.mp3    Actions - Devil\'s Words [Mastered By EleKtroFR].mp3 --  (Download: 7.6 MB)

.mp3    LATEST---Actions - Devil\'s Words [Mastered By EleKtroFR].mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

EleKtroFR Productions - Music Producer & Mastering Engineer (aspirant)
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/elektro-fr
Hey,

Drums sound weird indeed. Snare is rather electro than rock. The kit as a whole is rather phasey. What effects did you put on it? It sounds as if you sent the drums to a buss and slapped a chorus on top of it.

Guitars and vocals sound pretty good imo. Try adding some top end to the guitars to make things feel wider from top to bottom.

Cheers
Hi Franky, thanks for your reply.

I just hear that the snares sounds pretty far from the mic, and i don't know how to "open" it

And for the kick... well.. that trigger, i honestly don't know how to get a good kick from it... i just did hard compression and hard eq on low frequencies, obtaining something that only TRIES to sound similar to a kick.

Could you suggest anything for my drums? I really want to get something good from this...

For what concerns the guitars and vocals i can handle them much easier than drums, and if i get a good drums sound, vocals and guitar will do the rest...

I need your help, could you help me please?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Hey

In my opinion drums don't need all that much compression. Room/kit mics CAN benefit from heavy compression though. Gives more space/ambience to the drums. Something that works really good on drums is parallel compression. Use a snappy compressor for this. Just send all the drum tracks to that compressor (post fader) and mix that in with the 'dry' drums. I personally send the bass to this compressor as well, which gets the drums pumping with the bass in a nice groove. For a kick EQ, try adding some 50Hz, suck out some mid (somewhere between 200-900Hz) but use a narrow Q (otherwise you lose to much punch), and finally add some snap/top. 5kHz could work. Try a shelf at 8K and try 12dB for a start. Don't be afraid to EQ. Listen, don't look at 'amounts'. For snare, try adding some weight around 180Hz. Maybe 6-9dB, listen. Then try adding some higher mids around 3-4K and boost some top at 8K. Sometimes using a bell, in my case mostly shelf.

But I can't remember if the drums were recorded properly. Most likely not, these multitracks pretty much all suck with drums. So try adding some punchy 'modern' rock samples. Try to use them as reenforcement, do not use them to 'replace' the original drums. If the drums were really bad.. we'll then just replace them. Just make it rock.

Hope this gives some ideas.. Tongue

Cheers!
If you're using Logic, you can convert an audio region (say, of a kick trigger track or snare drum track) to MIDI information, which you can then use to trigger sounds from a drum sampler (BFD, Addictive Drums, etc.). There may be a similar feature in ProTools -- you'd have to ask somebody else about that though.

Anyway, there's lots of tutorials on how to do it in Logic, just Google it. Here's one article describing the process, for example:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar08/ar...h_0308.htm

That's if you don't have access to Slate Trigger or Drumagog or another plugin that can dynamically trigger samples.

Are you referencing other mixes while you mix? Professional mixes?

Let's figure this out.
Oh yeah I forgot to say. Listen to some Paramore records. The drums on those are great.
Thank you guys, seriously...
I think i'll use drumagog and try to REEINFORCE samples, i don't want to replace.

However:

I don't use parallel compression, that is i link a different compressor to each drum sound, never used parallel compression for the simple reason that i don't understand why should i use all the SAME parameters for more than one sound with different dynamics... Could you explain me that? Thanks Smile

Really appreciate your help guys Smile
(25-12-2013, 09:19 PM)EleKtroFR Wrote: Thank you guys, seriously...
I think i'll use drumagog and try to REEINFORCE samples, i don't want to replace.

However:

I don't use parallel compression, that is i link a different compressor to each drum sound, never used parallel compression for the simple reason that i don't understand why should i use all the SAME parameters for more than one sound with different ranges of frequencies... Could you explain me that? Thanks Smile

Really appreciate your help guys Smile
It sounds to me that you don't quite 'get' the concept of parallel compression.

Without getting too boring...say you have a kick drum. You like the sound of it, but maybe you need a bit more bottom out of it or you need more attack. Thing is -- if you applied a compressor on that track to JUST pull put the attack or an EQ to JUST pull out the bottom, you're going to affect the WHOLE sound & potentially the dynamics of the drum. So, in order to preserve those original qualities of the sound that we like while augmenting the sound in a more transparent way, you would make a duplicate of that kick drum track and then apply your compression or EQ on the duplicate track and then mix it back in underneath the original track -- so essentially, you're running the tracks in parallel; you have the original track that is being augmented or enhanced in some way by a duplicate track that has it's own processing JUST to bring out the qualities you want -- without altering the original sound beyond recognition.

It's obviously more nuanced and detailed than how I've described it. I like Dave Pensado's video on it...check it out for some examples and a good explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=impZpF8qgrk

Let's figure this out.
Ok, so guys.. i'll study more on these things, and when i'm ready i'll post my new mix... Thanks... it's so frustrating!

Will keep in touch!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! see you tomorrow Wink
Well, try to think of drums as one instrument instead of different instruments. Seriously, give it a go Tongue Use a dirtier/snappy compressor like an 1176 or so. Not too crazy of a ratio, Fastest release and slow attack. A lot of compression. This gives a lot of snap to the 'dry' drum tracks. As a guideline, always (never say always though..) use fast release on drums for a punchy sound.