Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Districts - Vermont (STMROB Remix)
20-12-2013, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 02:19 PM by STMROB.)
The Districts - Vermont (STMROB Remix)
Here is my 3rd version of this remix.

The rhythm guitar tracks needed correction at least at two places (C7b9 chord). Correction was made using the same chord played correctly. at the first chorus

The background added is a virtual Mellotron with an MKII Strings patch. I feel the idea is good and the groove is improved, but I also realized after listening on another system that there was a build up on the high mid frequencies and the mellotron only helped emphasize that problem with the guitars. One of the main difficulties with this song is to keep control on the overheads. In this case, I used some docking control on some of these tracks, with the lead vocal as side chain input. Then I silenced some parts of the OH tracks where the guitars were most present. That left some place for the guitars and Mellotron to blend in.
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2013, 10:49 AM
RE: The Districts - Vermont (STMROB Remix)
Sounds great !
The cymbals and synth still has a little high end build up in some parts on my monitors Wink !

Great sounding mix !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

20-12-2013, 10:54 AM
(20-12-2013 10:49 AM)thedon Wrote:  Sounds great !
The cymbals and synth still has a little high end build up in some parts on my monitors Wink !

Great sounding mix !

Thanks Thedon. I still have to listen in different environments and maybe I'll be doing a few more adjustments after that.

Regards.
20-12-2013, 11:20 AM
(20-12-2013 12:49 AM)STMROB Wrote:  Here is my 3rd version of this remix.

The rhythm guitar tracks needed correction at least at two places (C7b9 chord). Correction was made using the same chord played correctly. at the first chorus

The background added is a virtual Mellotron with an MKII Strings patch. I feel the idea is good and the groove is improved, but I also realized after listening on another system that there was a build up on the high mid frequencies and the mellotron only helped emphasize that problem with the guitars. One of the main difficulties with this song is to keep control on the overheads. In this case, I used some docking control on some of these tracks, with the lead vocal as side chain input. Then I silenced some parts of the OH tracks where the guitars were most present. That left some place for the guitars and Mellotron to blend in.

Hi!

Except vocals I dont liked!

To much hi freq on everything and some hollow freq probably on drums!

Thanks!
20-12-2013, 11:47 AM
(20-12-2013 11:20 AM)mik123 Wrote:  

Hi!

Thanks!

Mik123, you may be right, sounds a bit aggressive compared to the other mixes. For the hollow freq on the drums, I think I see where the problem is. Back to work.

Thanks.
20-12-2013, 11:55 AM
(20-12-2013 11:47 AM)STMROB Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 11:20 AM)mik123 Wrote:  

Hi!

Thanks!

Mik123, you may be right, sounds a bit aggressive compared to the other mixes. For the hollow freq on the drums, I think I see where the problem is. Back to work.

Thanks.

Thats the spirit! Big Grin
22-12-2013, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 02:20 PM by STMROB.)
There's the spirit.

Revised mix.
23-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Listened last mix. Love the mellotron. I think it suits the tune well but is fighting a. It with the guitars and my move would be to let the guitars win, maybe duck mellotrone gently with guitar bus as side chain.
Like the verbs on guitars.
It is very authentic mid sixties soundin. Ventures meet Traffic Big Grin

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
23-12-2013, 02:35 AM
RE: The Districts - Vermont (STMROB Remix) V3b
Thanks Voelund. Here is the last version of the mix that addresses some problems with the highs too loud, the dull drum sound and the general balance.

Hope this one is better.

Regards.

.mp3   The_Districts_Vermont (Unofficial remix by STMROB) V3b.mp3 --  (Download: 5.11 MB)

Support my video work!
Advertisement: