Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy fascination - Voelund
There has been and still are many other things in my life needing my attention lately.
Kast weeks i have worked on this song when time allowed, changin it into something that suited my ears. I dont consider it finished, made the pizzicato strings today and masterin it I realised they are too loud and need mutin a couple o times too.

Still it would be great with a thumb, up or down to the changes i made and the overall sound.

I started out thinnin the drums heavily as there were just too much goin on for one man to play that, and I like to keep the illusion its a drummer even though we all know machines are a big part of todays music.
I really liked the pizzicato strings, just didnt like the sound so I tried makin another part.
I stretched one note on the bowed strings to make little variation in it.
I copied a couple o parts around to add interest and sound effects.
I added an acoustic guitar and blended it with the acc gtr 2 trck and muted trck 1.
I made an ending, as the supplied ending just ended, I like a decent "goodbye" when its possible ...

So my times runnin out, gotta go, see you soon I hope, and I hope mentioned time will allow more commentin on your mixes than I have been doin lately.

Cheers and dont forget to smile Big Grin

Niels

.mp3    Schoolboy fascination 04 li.mp3 --  (Download: 8.06 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Wow, Niels! you got a great sound here! I also love the pizzicato strings, as well as the rest of the strings and the vocals!! I remember that I ended up with the guy's voice sounding more childish than yours! And the end of the song is fantastic! it really fits the song's mood!! great job!

...and I hope you can visit us more often again! :-)
mixing since April 2013
Thank you Juan ! Very encouraging welcome and I hope I will visit more. Thank you Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Just had a listen to your mix, I agree there is a lot going on in this track. Lots and lots of vocals and drums you name it! So here'swhat I picked up on, first good job on the balancing of the mix, I did notice that the vocals had a kinda weird thing going on with the reverb. It's making the vocals sound very distant instead of sitting in the middle. But other than that I really like that you used the bow synth part so many of the other mixes are not even audible. To me I though it was one if the dominating instruments. Good Job!!
Thank you ! The vocal effect you mention is a 175 ms delay which I e kinda made my vocal sound of choice. It makes it so much easier for me to separate lead vox from backgr. voxes.
I realise it pulls the vox back a bit.
My taste and habit may change, but at mo thats how my ears work.
Sounds Great love the strings Big Grin !!!!!!

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds nice and retro. (To me retro is very positive word). Just the way this style should sound.

If you turn down just a little bit the high end of the drums, your over all sound is much more BCR than mine was Smile Just check how the bass is low and punchy, drums thin and vocals reverby in their megahit By By Baby

(11-12-2013, 06:14 PM)Voelund Wrote: Cheers and dont forget to smile Big Grin

When I found my self listening and singing this song for the hundreth time, it's hard not to smile. Otherwise I would be crying Big Grin.
And I'm very glad it's not playing in my dreams any more.
(16-12-2013, 09:01 AM)thedon Wrote: Sounds Great love the strings Big Grin !!!!!!

Thank you Don, glad you like it Big Grin

(16-12-2013, 11:09 AM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds nice and retro. (To me retro is very positive word). Just the way this style should sound.

If you turn down just a little bit the high end of the drums, your over all sound is much more BCR than mine was Smile Just check how the bass is low and punchy, drums thin and vocals reverby in their megahit By By Baby

(11-12-2013, 06:14 PM)Voelund Wrote: Cheers and dont forget to smile Big Grin

When I found my self listening and singing this song for the hundreth time, it's hard not to smile. Otherwise I would be crying Big Grin.
And I'm very glad it's not playing in my dreams any more.

And I didnt even listen reference, must admit I seldom do. But I´ll have to give "bye bye baby" a listen, maybe I´ll do as you say, darken the drums a bit.

I like the word retro also, and are glad my mix made you think of that word.

What I aimed for were kind of 10CC meet Robbie Williams, if that makes sense to anyone else but me Big Grin