Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve 9 : Living Lie
So happy to see another Nerve 9 multitrack released into the wild here. Big Grin
Always well recorded and super fun to work on.
Thank you Nerve 9.

"a" track (4/4/2020 1:00pm) here is the first pass - no automation, some fx

"b" track (4/4/2020 2:15pm) opened things up a bit.. still set it and forget it (no auto)
Cool

"c" track (4/5/2020 @ 4:33pm) Got some great feedback from the artist.
Had a chance to bend the rubber bands a bit (can't claim no-automation any more) and found a guitar track that was hiding from me...

"d" track (4/5/2020 @ 9:24PM) Playing with some (Marshall) amp modeling on two of the guitar tracks.

"dd" replaces "d" track 4/24/2020 - some adjustments but similar to "d"

.mp3    Nerve9_LivingLie_c.mp3 --  (Download: 9.38 MB)

.mp3    Nerve9_LivingLie_a.mp3 --  (Download: 9.34 MB)

.mp3    Nerve9_LivingLie_b.mp3 --  (Download: 9.34 MB)

.mp3    Nerve9_LivingLie_dd_JCM800-.mp3 --  (Download: 9.21 MB)

Hi Newton

Thanks for mixing the track - I'm glad you like working on our songs - we enjoy sharing them ! I can also share more - it took quarantine to finally package up this one to send to Mike Smile

Seems like a great start on a mix - like the vibe at the chorus for sure. I think most of my comments are balance related in nature, so that next phase of the mix process I am sure would tackle them. Observations:
- low end on kick - feeling a lot of low energy on my sub - worth checking. I think less there, more on the bass guitar would be good.
- drums in general sound good - like your snare sound !
- lead vocal reverb. I love reverb, but there is a lot on the lead vocal which pushes it back in the mix for me. Perhaps some automation of the amount for choice phrases etc and trade for a few delays or something
- mix loses some momentum at the bridge, as the verse guitar is mixed hotter than the bridge guitar
- vocal level at chorus is too hot relative to the verse - jumped out at me a bit
- the guitar lead guitar needs some delay/reverb or widening effect added to it - it sounds stark next to the lead vocal with a lot of reverb on it.
- background vocal a bit loud relatively to lead vocal - took my attention away from the lead
- a few more moments of effect ear candy would be cool

Hope this helps - it really does sound on it's way to a solid mix !

BR

Thomas