Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Giselle - Moss (ZX Mix)
01-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Giselle - Moss (ZX Mix)
I cannot say the amount of times I tried to mix this but I can assure that it is far too many for me to admit.

Anyway, here is my take on this incredibly dense piece of music. One thing to note is I did not try to run the vocal at the head of the mix. Instead I approached the mix more as a sound collage as it were. Different parts interacting to create a full final piece.

.mp3   Giselle - Moss (ZX Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
RE: Giselle - Moss (ZX Mix)
Quote:One thing to note is I did not try to run the vocal at the head of the mix. Instead I approached the mix more as a sound collage as it were. Different parts interacting to create a full final piece.

Definitely my favoured approach, so we're on the same page there. I love the way you've created light and shade here. It really feels like an Imax trip through the oceans of the world, which is great! I like the way you've used your distortions (especially on the bass), and the way things keep bubbling in and out. Quite cool the way you've changed the bass notes at some points too. I wonder whether you could get away with a few more delays on some of the parts when you hit the really big textures at 1:49 and beyond? Otherwise, I enjoyed hearing that. Thanks for posting!

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
03-12-2013, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 04:38 AM by APZX.)
(02-12-2013 02:33 PM)Mike Senior Wrote:  Definitely my favoured approach, so we're on the same page there. I love the way you've created light and shade here. It really feels like an Imax trip through the oceans of the world, which is great! I like the way you've used your distortions (especially on the bass), and the way things keep bubbling in and out. Quite cool the way you've changed the bass notes at some points too. I wonder whether you could get away with a few more delays on some of the parts when you hit the really big textures at 1:49 and beyond? Otherwise, I enjoyed hearing that. Thanks for posting!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and giving your thoughts!

You know after listening to it again a few times. I do I think I could get away with a few more carefully placed delays on those SFX leading to 1:49 for a little more sustain into that portion of the piece. I'm not 100% positive where I'd place the delays during that huge section. I've already got a pretty low level delay in there. But I can think of a couple of spots. But I already fought pretty hard to get just the kind of texture I have there. I might try some things and may post up a revised mix in a day or two.

Now, I would like to comment on the bass real quick. I find it interesting that you comment on it in particular. That bass has no automation of any kind and there are 3 plugins on it and only 1 is on the insert. The rest is actually on at the buss level with the rest of the actual synth instruments (synth fills, synth leads, synth arps). On the Insert side of things I have a compressor that I'm using for sidechaing. In this case I sidechained it to a kick, because the kick was getting a bit buried in its attack or so I felt. Now, on the buss I've got another compressor (very long attack & moderately long release). The second thing is actually a Pultec EQ. I used the trick of cutting & boosting the same freq in both the high & low sections. I think this is a case of less is more and a happy accident.

But again thanks for the comments. Got to me think of the mix in a slightly different way now Big Grin

Edit - Now that I think about it. I do not hear what I did to the bass as distortion at all. Then again I am a bass head. So, the more I can cram into a mix the happier I am. I'm sure a Mastering Engineer would hate me for it.
03-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Very nice!

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Bmullen,

Thanks! You should try to mix this track. Definitely a test of cunning this track is.

Fund new CMT resources via Patreon!