Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lush Life: 'Toynbee Suite'
30-11-2013, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:05 PM by juanjose1967.)
Lush Life: 'Toynbee Suite'
difficult song to mix here! first of all because rap vocals are still a 'mystery' to me! and second because there are many, many tracks and many different sections in just one song.

But I think it's turned out to be a great exercise in terms of organization!!

I hope you like the result!

.mp3   Lush Life - Toynbee suite.mp3 --  (Download: 19.19 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 03:02 AM
RE: Lush Life: 'Toynbee Suite'
This is a difficult track to mix with all the scene changes. Think Tribe Called Quest " Midnight Marauder" with the vocals more in your face like Jay-Z on "Hollywood" with Beyonce. Start your mix with the lead vocals, bass, and drums for the entire song. This will give you a common link for all the changes of the song. Once you have the Vcls, Bs, and Drms in your face and hitting hard at around -10db RMS, go to the busiest part of the song and start adding in the other instruments. Cut out any frequencies on the other instruments that take away from the Lead Vcls impact. On the Lead Vcl, compress it Hard. Adjust the attack and release to give it a little percussive motion and send it into a brick wall limiter. Send the kick and snare into a brick wall limiter also. One on each. Waves L1 is the go to for most rap mixers. Rap is all about in your face Vcls and groove energy. I would use an API eq emulation and a compressor with some attitude. This is just a little of what gives a rap song it's sound. This style uses more delay than reverb to create a sense of space. Hope this helps point you in the right direction. Be sure to use Tribe Called Quest or something similar that you like to compare as you mix. I will be mixing this soon.
11-02-2014, 02:53 AM
This sounds great most o the time in headphones. The strings have a beatiful tone. Great contradt between the many sections. I think the style asks for harder drums ? But im by no means an expert. This could be a fun song to mix. You could work on the drums in the groovin parts a bit more and the suggestion to give the vocals impact sounds very clever to me.
The dreamy parts sound great !

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
11-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Thank you, Niels. Unfortunately I don't keep this project to make changes, and I should start from the very beginning, and I remember that my computer found it hard to process all because of all the tracks, length and plugins needed. But I remember thinking that this song was a good exercise in terms of track organization! So give it a try if you can!!!

mixing since April 2013
11-02-2014, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 05:24 PM by ALX.)
Quick run down of rap kick processing in sequence.

1. 2Band MB compression: Crossed over at 331Hz, about 2db of compression on the lower band. Set to give the best balance between the upper and lower tones of the sample

Attack 23.3ms - Set to give the best transient hit.

Release 100.8ms - Set to give enough tail to work with song tempo

Ratio 100.0 - Goal is to get max RMS. In rap music the loudest hardest hitting song wins.

2. Tape Simulator: To bring back some of the analog tone the MB comp took away.

3. HP filter at 20Hz 48db slope: LP filter at 20kHz 48 slope. Just extra cleaning

4. Transient Shaper: Make the initial attack harder

5. Limiter: 13db gain reduction to get into the -10RMS or louder range.

I usually start with the limiter and push it until the sound starts to breakup, then back off a little. After that I start to process in front of the limiter to fix anything I don't like about the sound. The settings are different for every sound and song but this is the general idea. Drums should be as loud and clean as possible. I did this on the headphones in about 5 minutes. These are rough setting and can be tweaked further to get the sound cleaner. The general idea of rap mixing is everything very loud but as clean as possible. I hope this points you in the right direction.

Note: Ignore my #'s. Your plugins may require different setting. This is just to give you a general idea of the basic principals behind mixing this style of music.

I have attached samples below. The last one is a guide that you can use in your DAW if you think it can help. It is the MPC Kick that start about 30s to 45s into the song.

.mp3   UnProcessed.mp3 --  (Download: 964.32 KB)

.mp3   Processed.mp3 --  (Download: 964.31 KB)

.mp3   Use as a guide in DAW.mp3 --  (Download: 4.78 MB)

11-02-2014, 07:02 PM
thank you ALX! you gave me something very good to think of and start applying in my future rap mixes! Since I'm not an expert mixer, this information is highly appreciated!! thanks!!!

mixing since April 2013

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: