Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial Of Silence - a song about the end of the coronavirus
OK, this was ... well, the tracks were ok, I guess. I do, however, not like the band's guitar sound and I am not a huge fan of the vocal recordings, but it works, I guess.

Well, this is where I've landed for now

Tips, trick and comments are most welcomed.

Edit v2
Altered the in/out-mic-ratio on kick and lowered HPF on guitars

.mp3    Rebuild The Evil - Burial Of Silence.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

.mp3    Rebuild The Evil - Burial Of Silence v2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Nice mix, you should automate the vocals a bit more, they are too loud in some parts and just fine in others. Don't really like the guitar sound, but it fits the genre, although I would expect something more beefy from a band like this. Is this the original drum sound? The toms need more love - maybe a multiband saturator would come in handy, check this video from nolly:

https://youtu.be/X7bUCCQUBeA?t=1567

It works 99% of the time and the toms sound super-awesome afterwards.
(25-05-2020, 01:32 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Nice mix, you should automate the vocals a bit more, they are too loud in some parts and just fine in others. Don't really like the guitar sound, but it fits the genre, although I would expect something more beefy from a band like this. Is this the original drum sound? The toms need more love  - maybe a multiband saturator would come in handy, check this video from nolly:

https://youtu.be/X7bUCCQUBeA?t=1567

It works 99% of the time and the toms sound super-awesome afterwards.
Thanks for your time and your inputs.

Yes, it's the original drum sound. I never uses samples, because I every musician has his - or hers - individual sound, and there's a reason for that. Therefore, replacing that with - more or less - generic samles would be disrespectfull. Saturation on the drums might not be a stupid idea. I will definitely keep that in mind from here on out.

I had some issues making the vocal sit correctly, both because of the guitars and because of the dynamics in the vocal performance, so you're spot on regarding the automation.

Cheers

#nosubnoshow
"I never use samples, because every musician has his - or hers - individual sound, and there's a reason for that."

If the drums sound like crap but they want to have that superduperoverthetop pro sound, then I guess you have no other choice but switch to samples. And honestly, you won't win an award for not using samples, because in the end nobody cares about it and 90% of the drummers out there can't even tune their drums anyways. I don't know how many times I've read that a band wanted to sound super raw and natural and then as a reference mentioned albums of bands where all of the drum shells are slate samples and the guitar sound was done in Podfarm.

We live in 2020, and if the demo of a band sounds like a crappy recording from the mid-90s, nobody will give them credit for their old-school raw and natural sound. The only thing that matters is the end result, and I use all the tools available to get to that point.
(25-05-2020, 02:16 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: "I never use samples, because every musician has his - or hers - individual sound, and there's a reason for that."

If the drums sound like crap but they want to have that superduperoverthetop pro sound, then I guess you have no other choice but switch to samples. And honestly, you won't win an award for not using samples, because in the end nobody cares about it and 90% of the drummers out there can't even tune their drums anyways. I don't know how many times I've read that a band wanted to sound super raw and natural and then as a reference mentioned albums of bands where all of the drum shells are slate samples and the guitar sound was done in Podfarm.

We live in 2020, and if the demo of a band sounds like a crappy recording from the mid-90s, nobody will give them credit for their old-school raw and natural sound. The only thing that matters is the end result, and I use all the tools available to get to that point.
I see your point.

I'm comming from live sound and one of  the "tools" on the very top of my tool box is: "How can YOU make YOUR instrument sound more like your reference?". Maybe it's just me, but I've always been fortunate enough to be working with musicians, who actually knows, how their respective instruments works. I'm not a music teacher or a band doctor. Basically, and it may sound harsher than intended, if they doesn't know, what they are doing, they are not worth my time. Obviously that's not the entire truth, the essens of it, however, is ...

I know there's a huge difference from the live universe to the recording universe, and I  am of course aware that I have to use the tools available to me in order to get the desired result. Another thing is, I think that a well tuned kit sounds so much better than samples, so why not opt for that?

#nosubnoshow