Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everybodys Falling Apart - Phre The Eon - Mixed by Ziwei
Blush Welcome all criticism.

.mp3    Everybodys Falling Apart - Phre The Eon (no mastered).mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

I listened to the mastered version...

I like the vocal effect though I'm not sure about the panning in the chorus. In the verse it's relatively quiet. That said, While I like the effect and tone I'm not sure it fits this song. The song is pretty staccato and strict, rhythm wise and the vocal is the only contrast to that for a good portion of the song. The distortion and compression on the vocal adds to that "strictness" as opposed to playing off it. If that makes sense. I suppose thematically it works but as a listener I'd like some distinction from it. The chorus can be a bit more interesting. How? I dunno. I'm center the vocal for sure, though. I could use more of the back ground vocals.

I could use a little more of the notes, the neck, of the bass. I feel it but the part is adding some funkiness that the mix is missing. The bass guitar is really important in this song.

Overall, tonally the balances all work. I only really have an issue with the vocals but to be fair that's like 90% of a song. My math might be off but the point stands. Sorry if this isn't that technical.

Hope that helps.
(29-03-2020, 05:10 PM)RoyM Wrote: I listened to the mastered version...

I like the vocal effect though I'm not sure about the panning in the chorus. In the verse it's relatively quiet. That said, While I like the effect and tone I'm not sure it fits this song. The song is pretty staccato and strict, rhythm wise and the vocal is the only contrast to that for a good portion of the song. The distortion and compression on the vocal adds to that "strictness" as opposed to playing off it. If that makes sense. I suppose thematically it works but as a listener I'd like some distinction from it. The chorus can be a bit more interesting. How? I dunno. I'm center the vocal for sure, though. I could use more of the back ground vocals.

I could use a little more of the notes, the neck, of the bass. I feel it but the part is adding some funkiness that the mix is missing. The bass guitar is really important in this song.

Overall, tonally the balances all work. I only really have an issue with the vocals but to be fair that's like 90% of a song. My math might be off but the point stands. Sorry if this isn't that technical.

Hope that helps.

Wow! I appreciate that you have spent so much time providing such comprehensive feedback!

Personally, I think that this is a retro alternative British rock(Uh.. I don't know if my expression is accurate), So I use "Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand" (You Could Have It So Much Better [CD] mixed by Rich Costey, 2005) as a reference track.
Both are similar in style and rhythm, even speed..

To my surprise, the lead EG in the chorus is wonderful and I want to make it equal to the vocal. But if I put the vocal in the middle, whether the lead EG on the left or right will cause more serious Panning problems (probably because the producer creatively uses EG to play the same melody as the vocal.It will definitely pop out of all guitars). So I regard the lead EG as a doubler of vocal (just like the singer's second soul), and it is modulated so that the audience will not feel uncomfortable. Its a common production method in alternative rock i think.

These are just my personal opinions, there may be some problems, just correct me ~

Stay healthy , Cheers !