Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed
If you are already using Parallel Compression you will know you set up a and FX send from the vocal to and effect channel and slap a compressor on the fx channel and compress it heavily (will sound awful) then you blend the turn the fx track down to 0 then with everything playing turn the fx track up until the vocal appears to get louder but without the fx track being louder than the vocal - adds focus and depth so just makes it sound bigger and clearer. or you could do the above on the guitars and actually turn the guitars down without them sounding like you turned them down if that makes sense. If you use P,C. regularly you would probably agree.

See signature and go to the youtube link and search for parallel compression
my answer got lost when I pressed the wrong key.... so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUr1aGMp4g&t=1s
Personally, I do feel the benefits of parallel compression gets overstated. It mostly works as an effect but ever really works well for fixing or balancing. It's like adding reverb. It's great. It adds. It doesn't fix or help balance issues.
No depends on how you use it - adds another dimension to the mix really night and day every mix I have done has PC on every track.

Someone said a few months ago (he actually had a working studio) - said it was a total gamechanger for him.

Vocal, not clear enough no problem P.C. it - same with everything else

Not overrated at all just not used correctly would say.

P.S I really hate over-compressed drums - but I use PC and they just sound right and natural and makes guitars, keyboards and horns sound fantastic but do not use with bass (unless a tiny bit) as it will just sound pants

Anyway watch the video use or don't use but using it only a little is better than none at all - even on folk songs

I actually used on a musical - client was delighted with the results - in his words EPIC

Depending on music style, tend to NY-compress my drums, and on some occations the vocals.

As I read your reply, Retchid Gretchin, you wanna use it to fix balance issues. But like RoyM says, parallel compression isn't the right tool for this kind of issue.

My issue isn't getting the vocals loud enough, or more in your face, it's just to make them sit right in the mix and at the same time have a whole lot of drums and guitars. Isolated speaking, the guitars sound like ... well, like guitars for this kind of music, and like the guitars the band's recorded. In my opinion, they don't need to be fattened or moved forward in the mix, which is why I don't think that parallel compression is the way to go. I am more keen on believing that it is, as RoyM has suggested, a matter of fundamental balance and a lot more fader riding.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your inputs.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(31-03-2020, 06:22 PM)Retchid Gretchin Wrote: No depends on how you use it - adds another dimension to the mix really night and day every mix I have done has PC on every track.

Someone said a few months ago (he actually had a working studio) - said it was a total gamechanger for him.

Vocal, not clear enough no problem P.C. it - same with everything else

Not overrated at all just not used correctly would say.

P.S I really hate over-compressed drums - but I use PC and they just sound right and natural and makes guitars, keyboards and horns sound fantastic but do not use with bass (unless a tiny bit) as it will just sound pants

Anyway watch the video use or don't use but using it only a little is better than none at all - even on folk songs

I actually used on a musical - client was delighted with the results - in his words EPIC
I understand how to use it. I've used it for decades. Literally. It does add a dimension. I use it all the time with other compression (Even with bass!). It's not something that fixes any balance issues. It gets viewed as a fix and a trick which I've rallied against. As with any 'trick' It adds, yes but people seem to get fixated and that that annoys me.

Listening to V3 it's an improvement on V2. It's not a PC thing. It's a balance thing.

NY Compression (same thing)
Multiband Compression
Sidechaining
Braurizing
Two stage Compression.

There are a ton of options. All are tools. All I use and allow should all use. I'd be shocked if someone uses more compression than I do. I've always come back to the fact that you just have to mix it. Using everything at hand but nothing is going to make things easier nor fix issues. And you have to know the tools. And I think we all just toss around effects and gear and terms that don't really help in the end. Sorry to rant. I'm in a bad mood.

I've watched the video. I'm not a fan but that's a different issue.
On a more positive note ... it's getting a bit warmer and at least some better songs in this latest batch compared to the last ones. Always nice to hear from you Roy... but as this is getting off-topic will see you around rather than clog up another users thread.
No. That's the point! To discuss and pontificate. It's not off topic. You think PC would help this mix. I presented reasons why it may or my not. This is absolutely what we should be talking about and completely on topic. Krabbe might disagree but personally I'm bored with passing "Good mix!" "Sounds dull" posts. We should argue and dig into it and present differing opinions and options. Neither of us are wrong. We're just debating. Which I think its for the benefit of everyone.
I live and breathe for the debate, especially this kind of debate. I mean, at the end of the day, isn't that what a forum like this is for?

Obviously a "nice mix" or "sounds good" is ... well, nice, but the critiques so much more helpful, not to say what it becomes when we add this extra dimension. It's f*cking gold!

I should be clear to everyone that we do all have a dozen of option in the tool box, but they require knowledge. If you don't know what you've got, how can you apply it correctly? At the end of the day, I guess it all comes down to the basics. If you know your basics, then you'll know when to side-chain, when to parallel compress and - in my mind - most important of all, when not to.

On a side notes, while some of us live off happy clients, their valuation of your work is a mix of a lot of factors, where most of them has nothing to with the mix-technical side of it, and isn't it excatly mix technique, were are talking about here? Isnt' it what this site is created for? Happy clients are nice, essential even, but in here they doesn't really count.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Nice discussion. I'm with Roy on this one - you have to get the basics right before trying stuff from the mixers toolbox. That's Balance, Panning, and - at least for me - automation. There are a lot of static mixes on this forum where you clearly hear that the person who did the mix didn't really listen to the tracks before mixing them.

Sure, not every song has tons of musical details or small little technical highlights that you can put into the spotlight to create more excitement. Nevertheless, you can still make sure that e.g. special accents on the hihat are audible, instead of just pulling up the fader for the hihat and ignoring it completely for the rest of the mix. After listening to almost all of the Darkride mixes, this is what I noticed most. So a good mix for me is more than just good balance and tasteful choices - you also need to breathe some life into the damn thing Smile