Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright: 'By My Side' rzmixed
Oh another fun track.
Going for the motown vibe.

Just started using True Iron and PuigTech on everything, might have over done it. But the saturation is really cool, so I just kept it.

Used the EL Rey on the main bus.

First time mixing thru the Abbey Road Studio 3, not sure if there is too much mud in the track.

As usual, comments and inputs are very welcome!
Cheers!

.mp3    KAT WRIGHT BY MYSIDE rzmixed.mp3 --  (Download: 9.09 MB)

Hi!

Very nice mix. Listened to it a few times on headphones on the laptop, and had to check it out on the mains.

For me it's not so much a Motown sound (not sort of trashy? enough), but your mix brings to mind that more modern take. That late 90's (Bob Power/Erykah Badu) neo-soul/hip hop type sound, which I like a lot. Certainly the kick/snare & low end. The bass feels to me that it might be a db or so too loud in the mix, but I'm not sure I'd change it as it does suit the more modern feel you've got going on there. Oh, sounds more 'warm' to me than 'muddy' I think. For me it doesn't sound overcompressed or over saturated, but just right really for that more slick take on the 'vintage' sound.

Yeah - nice take on this track. Well done.

I find the puigtech saturation sometimes works well just putting it in the chain wthout any eq. I recall it does add a 1db or so volume boost though, so I tweaked the default preset to compensate for that.

Cheers!

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi mikej,

Thank you for taking time to listen to my track.

And thank you for your kind words. You are right on it not being motown..
I actually tried to refrence to the Scary Pocket tracks on youtube. Thought their stuff are great.

I didn't realised that about puigtec, I will use more of it.

Do let me know if it still sounded alright on your mains. Many thanks in advance.
(28-03-2020, 10:55 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Very nice mix. Listened to it a few times on headphones on the laptop, and had to check it out on the mains.

For me it's not so much a Motown sound (not sort of trashy? enough), but your mix brings to mind that more modern take. That late 90's (Bob Power/Erykah Badu) neo-soul/hip hop type sound, which I like a lot. Certainly the kick/snare & low end. The bass feels to me that it might be a db or so too loud in the mix, but I'm not sure I'd change it as it does suit the more modern feel you've got going on there. Oh, sounds more 'warm' to me than 'muddy' I think. For me it doesn't sound overcompressed or over saturated, but just right really for that more slick take on the 'vintage' sound.

Yeah - nice take on this track. Well done.

I find the puigtech saturation sometimes works well just putting it in the chain wthout any eq. I recall it does add a 1db or so volume boost though, so I tweaked the default preset to compensate for that.

Cheers!

Heh - I say mains, but just little yamaha msp5's and sub, but it was a bit early to annoy the neighbours. Still sounds great Smile.

I shall now check out the Scary Pockets - thanks for the tip.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
The MSP5 is still better then my BOSE SoundLink Mini!

The mixer for Scary Pockets also mixed this
VULFPECK /// Live at Madison Square Garden

(28-03-2020, 11:33 AM)mikej Wrote: Heh - I say mains, but just little yamaha msp5's and sub, but it was a bit early to annoy the neighbours. Still sounds great Smile.

I shall now check out the Scary Pockets - thanks for the tip.

Cheers!

Hi,

Wow. Doesn't seem to be holding you back any though.

According to press interviews it would seem that Josh Gudwin mixed Justin Bieber's Despacito on ATH-M50's and finalised the mix on a Bose bluetooth speaker, as some last minute changes were required and he was on holiday on some island.

Cheers!
That is a fascinating article!

I need to dig out my old M50s!

(28-03-2020, 01:35 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Wow. Doesn't seem to be holding you back any though.

According to press interviews it would seem that Josh Gudwin mixed Justin Bieber's Despacito on ATH-M50's and finalised the mix on a Bose bluetooth speaker, as some last minute changes were required and he was on holiday on some island.

Cheers!