Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm never gonna love live recordings ;)
After listening to metal guitars for too many hours, I needed to do something else, and came across this baby.

Obviously there were a few bumps, given the fact that it is a live recording. Luckily it's a fairly simple arrangement, so you don't have 23 mics with nothing but drum bleed Smile

This mix was done pretty quickly, so the odd frequency here and the sloppy gate there is expected.

There were a couple of question points, so I thought that I'd put it out there and see what comes out of it. Overall I think, I did good though AngelBig Grin

Tips, tricks and comments are very appreciated

Edit v2:
Thinned guitars a little and moved both guitar and mandolin to center.

.mp3    Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue Me.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue Me v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Sounds great. No real issues. I don't love the vocal tone but that's on the mic. You've dealt with it well.

I, too, am a fan of panning but the electric guitar has so much "weight" that it pull my attention to the right. I think if it were centered it'd support the vocal more. It probably could use a little more thinning as well, regardless of where it's panned. Either to limit its gravity to the right or to give room for the vocal if centered. It might be less of an issue over speakers as opposed to headphones.

Other than that it all seems to work. I like the BgVs, the snare and bass especially. Good job.
Thanks for your input

I thought about the panning of the guitar - and the mandolin - because it's the only instrument, so it's natural to have it there. Then I thought that I love playing air drums when listening to music, so I decided to make the panning as if I were behind the drums, so you've got the guitar slighty right and the mandolin slighty left. To even it out, I sent their respective verbs to the opposite side ... just for the fun of it.

I considered thinning the guitar further, but I didn't because it's far from a busy mix and it's the only instrument providing notes for the vocals, so I decided that it was ok if it had a little more weight.

(26-03-2020, 02:01 PM)RoyM Wrote: Sounds great. No real issues. I don't love the vocal tone but that's on the mic. You've dealt with it well.

I, too, am a fan of panning but the electric guitar has so much "weight" that it pull my attention to the right. I think if it were centered it'd support the vocal more. It probably could use a little more thinning as well, regardless of where it's panned. Either to limit its gravity to the right or to give room for the vocal if centered. It might be less of an issue over speakers as opposed to headphones.

Other than that it all seems to work. I like the BgVs, the snare and bass especially. Good job.

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow