Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Out Of Bed (BCS Mix)
Just stumbled upon this video, and couldn't help myself but give this track a go! https://youtu.be/uMpHFr8THUM

I really don't know what the fuss about the drum recording is. Personally I find them to be pretty workable, and the playing is a lot tighter than a lot of other rock tracks on this site. I found no need for any drum reinforcements at all. In fact, everything sounds pretty neat from the get go. Only thing that stuck out was the occasional nail screeches on the bass strings which needed to be manually removed.

I had a blast mixing this, so please check it out and tell me what you think about it!

Stay safe, and have a good time mixing AT HOMEBig Grin.

.m4a    Get Out Of Bed (BCS Mix 3).m4a --  (Download: 6.65 MB)

Hi!

Forgot about those videos. Didn't realise he had a go at this one though - I'll have to check it out, they are fun to watch.

Yeah I thought the tracks were pretty good too - I know nothing about recording though. Which is almost as much as I know about mixing. I thought the arrangement was spot on also.

Mix sounds ok. I wondered if you squished it a bit much with a multiband or something though? it kind of has a bit of that sort of sound to it to my ears. Sort of a midrangey? thing going on a bit. Curious to know. Saying that I've just finished up my attempt at this (at home, funnily enough, how did you know Big Grin) so my ears are likely a bit tired.

Yeah, stay safe.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
The midrange you noticed might probably came from the Bass DI run through guitar amp that I added in the verses to spice things up. Tbh, the arrangement is a bit too clean during its verses for a rocknroll song imo. Other than that it might be the fact that I'm plaing around with my new analogue emulation plugins and may have overdone it a bit, not being used to how agressive they sound.
this new version is a tad bit brighter, shold feel less nasally-mid-rangey sounding. My ears are shot for now so I'm gonna need your feedback. thx

.m4a    Get Out Of Bed (BCS Mastered).m4a --  (Download: 6.65 MB)

Hi,

Just popped back to confirm that I think you are right in that it was just the bass tone was making things sound midrangey to me. I think your new version might be a bit on the bright side now (kick)? For me I think I do prefer the first version, it is just the bass that was sounding just a bit too 'nasal?' for my taste I think. It might be because the bass in the example mix is quite distorted and more fuzzy with a slightly different tone?
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(02-04-2020, 04:29 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Just popped back to confirm that I think you are right in that it was just the bass tone was making things sound midrangey to me. I think your new version might be a bit on the bright side now (kick)? For me I think I do prefer the first version, it is just the bass that was sounding just a bit too 'nasal?' for my taste I think. It might be because the bass in the example mix is quite distorted and more fuzzy with a slightly different tone?

Right on! I've just woken up the next day and the 2nd version is definitely too bright for a fresh ear. But then I guess that leaves the bass tone in the 'subjective' category then, cause I personally think it's fine, and without it the verses are very empty sounding. This seems more of an arrangement issue rather than mixing, or maybe it's a matter of taste as well lol. Anyway, thanks a lot for checking my mix out. You have good reliable ears!Big Grin
Hi,

Sadly my ears are anything but reliable. I'm still learning the many different ways that my perception can be skewed. My ears/brain really are too adaptable to the 'wrong' balance. That 1-4k area is especially tough. I try referencing, taking breaks, and leaving it a day or two after mixing to review a mix, but I still go back a month later and something obvious will poke out as being wrong. Thats probably the answer, to leave it a week or so before 'finalizing' a mix, but will take some me work to develop the patience/discipline for that... For me it seems this is 'too much bass / lowend' month.. but I digress...

Yeah I agree the bass tone is subjective. I think pretty much every mix of this has it's own bass tone. If I do comment on a mix I do try my best to be objective more than subjective. It is all too easy for one's internal baseline (and comments), as it were, to be influenced too much by ones own mix and personal references & preferences. I guess I discover today my preference is for a more smooth, more low end style bass than a more midrangey bass.

The raw bass track is very midrangey, and a touch thin I think. (More usually I find it is the case you are fighting too much sub). It is a really big task for it to bridge the gap between drums and vocals in the verse, so you do have to do something with it to beef it up. The bass+drums only verses seem to be a feature of the band's style I think?

Anyway, I'm off to have another go at the other track the band have on here as it would seem that I have made a complete mess of my first posted attempt of it Big Grin.

Take care.