Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Hollow Ground Eman Mix of Left Blind
Check this mix out, it is sick! Sounds like Pantera. Mixed with Cubase. Let me know what you think of it.

.mp3    Left Behind.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Hey, newbie here, this track is my second mix ever so it will really suck probably Smile I like what you did with the kickdrum, though it might be a little too loud in the mix right now, the sound of it is awesome. Could you elaborate on what you did with it? I'll post my (way crappier version) in a minute.
well i defiitely agree now listening back to it a little while later that the kick is too loud in the mix. my ears must have been fatigued somewhat when i mixed this song. i used cubase 5 to mix this song, but its not mastered yet. i used a guitar plugin to get the electric guitar tone along with compression and EQ. on the drums i used lots of EQ (especially for the kick), compression and some reverb for the snare channel. i also used gates on all the drum tracks (except the overheads) to cut out excess noise from other drums. i did end up using a low cut for the overheads to get rid of some bleed-through from the drums to enhance the cymbals more. i used EQ and Compression on the bass and tried to get a more deeper sounding bass by boosting the 100hz area and decreasing the 300hz-600hz area. i did layer the bass frequencies in the whole mix so that the lowest frequencies in the mix were in the kick drum, then the bass, & then guitars to try to create that power feel in the mix without frequencies clashing between instruments. vocals had lots of high frequency boost for clarity and some mid boosts also along with some compression and s tiny bit of reverb i think. overall i think i need to master this song and repost it. it needs to be widened more so the guitars come out better and ill turn down the kick also.
also for the kick drum itself, you probably will end up doing extreme EQ'ing and high compression and a gate for it. on mine i raised the deeper bass a bunch, then i cut out the muddy-sounding bass starting at around 100 or 120hz up to 600 - 800 hz to make it sound powerful and punchy, and then boost the highs starting at around 3 or 5khz and increase it from there and up, and see what sounds best on your audio software too.
(05-12-2013, 05:17 AM)Eman Wrote: also for the kick drum itself, you probably will end up doing extreme EQ'ing and high compression and a gate for it. on mine i raised the deeper bass a bunch, then i cut out the muddy-sounding bass starting at around 100 or 120hz up to 600 - 800 hz to make it sound powerful and punchy, and then boost the highs starting at around 3 or 5khz and increase it from there and up, and see what sounds best on your audio software too.

Hey thanks for the elaborate reply! I haven't even thought of using gates, that would obviously help a lot Smile

The low end is hard indeed, I like the guitars to have depth and punch while not taking all the space from kick and bass. A real balance act Smile

I'm going to address these two points first in my own mix, see where it'll take me.
Alright sounds good, anytime. Here is a new mix that is also mastered this time and more balanced. I fixed the kick drum issue and toned it a little more, and i also added some more reverb to the snare to add some color to it. i also added a bass drop at about 1:21 too, its pretty sweet. Check it out.

.mp3    Left Blind REMIXED & MASTERED.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Anyone else feel free to comment on what you think of the most recent mix.
New Mix! Replaced Snare Drum and adjusted kick sound and guitar sound so it is more stereo. Sounds Awesome. check this one out for sure.

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Left Blind New Snare Mix & Remixed.mp3 --  (Download: 5.92 MB)

Finishing Touches of this song on this mix. i think i am done experimenting on this song, but it was worth it. It sounds great. I rolled off some of the harsh high ends that used to be on it like in my previous mixes and adjusted the guitars somewhat.

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Left Blind Finishing Touches Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.92 MB)

Well done. I'm hearing the #9 post. Nice mix. Good separation. It has a nice balance. Great low end, mids, high end. The only think I'm notice is the lacking of depth. It is too dry and this kind of genre it is not. Try to wet your drums with short reverb (room with only early reflections) and snare with plate ones and vocals with mono delay in the center maybe? Don't know. Guitars with spring should give you some ambience there too.
Hope this would help. Greetings.
Juanra Ortiz
http://www.lacuevastudio.com
[email protected]
Production | Tracking | Mixing | Mastering
Check out my other mixes here.