Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like the song, but I don't understand multiple guitaras plays the same role?
Nice was a nice ride. The song's ... well, there isn't much to it, but who says that there has to be?

I really didn't do much, although this is a song, where you really can make your own touch visible, because there's so ... I don't wanna insult this great artist, but ...well, let's just say that this was one skinny b-word. What I am trying to say that this is a great song to be playing producer on. I'm not a producer, I just mix the s-word Wink

Just to be clear, I do enjoy the song Smile

Edit v1:
I've thinned the right acoustic guitar a little and lowered the low mids in the electric guitar a pinch. I've also changed verb on the snare, removed the vocal delay and given the master bus a little more to feed from. And then I've attempted to add a little ... I dunno, something, I guess, by pulling the electric guitar a bit more forward

.mp3    The Wrong\'uns - Rothko.mp3 --  (Download: 7.48 MB)

.mp3    The Wrong \'Uns - Rothko v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.47 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Feels good. I think the guitars could be hi-passed or thinned a little. The bass feels a little indistinct. The vocal delays feel weird to me. They get in the way of the vocal. It's a quirky, stylized part and the effect seems to try to hard, for lack of a better term. I think part of it is the staccato bouncy nature of the song itself. It might work if it were longer I suppose but I'm not sure. It also gets in the way of the chorus harm vocal. Maybe a less effects chorus? Just thinking out loud.
The mix works for the song. I do want some more from it but that's down to the recording, tracks, and arrangement as opposed to the mix.
Again, thanks for your inputs.

This song ... mixing and arrangement wise there's not a whole lot into it. It's really ... I lack words. If I were a music critic, I'd probably describe the song as "naive, bordering to immature". Since I am not, I'm not gonna do that. I do however think that it is a song with a lot of unreleased potential ...

Totally agree with you on the vox FX. Just a desperate try to do ... well, something, anything really.

The guitars, on the other hand ... just listening to the guitars, I actually think that they sound almost exactely like the way, I these guitar recordings to sound. With that being said, it doesn't necesarily mean that it works in a mixing context. I'll do a do-over, where I thin the guitars a bit more.

Thanks

#nosubnoshow
Keep in mind I'm not saying the guitars need to be totally thinned out. Just a little dip or cut and maybe not on all the guitars. Probably not the intro guitar but maybe the guitar on the right. Don't overdo it. There was just a build up in the lower mids that made things a little 'murky'. I could be wrong, maybe it needs that support from the guitars. It's been a while since I messed with this one and I know there's not a lot to work with.

It is a tricky song. It feels like an 'unplugged' version of an album song.
I haven't heard the raw tracks, but usually multiple tracks doing the same is usually for spreading them across the stereo, so you can get that very big open feeling.
I love the track though I don't feel the need to thin out, rather I feel like there's some sheen that take a bit of the enjoyment of the track. It does feel very smooth, lacking a tiny bit of grit.
Thanks for inputs.

I'm not sure that I'v expressed myself correctly. What I mean is that I do not understand why anyone would make a musical arrangement, where the only music is several different type of guitars all playing the same role. It wasn't in any way meant in a mixing context.

Back to the mix ...

I too feel that i lack grit and I wanted to add some. I didn't, because ... well, I am aware that it does not matter at all here, but I am unfamiliar with the artist and their expression, and based on the tracks I concluded that this was a pretty no-grit-kinda-band. The tracks are all so damn ... "straight down the middle", if that makes any sense

(23-03-2020, 03:52 PM)Kevinw0lf Wrote: I haven't heard the raw tracks, but usually multiple tracks doing the same is usually for spreading them across the stereo, so you can get that very big open feeling.
I love the track though I don't feel the need to thin out, rather I feel like there's some sheen that take a bit of the enjoyment of the track. It does feel very smooth, lacking a tiny bit of grit.

#nosubnoshow
(23-03-2020, 05:40 PM)Krabbe Wrote: I'm not sure that I'v expressed myself correctly. What I mean is that I do not understand why anyone would make a musical arrangement, where the only music is several different type of guitars all playing the same role. It wasn't in any way meant in a mixing context.
They just might have guitar players. There's something about this song that feels like an 80s Siouxsie and the Banshees Goth tune. Something simpler where people only have the players and equipment available. I'm not sure what else it could use.Like Kevinw0lf said it feels like a typical method of stereo guitars for width and an electric for some grit and 'rocknroll'. I'm not sure they executed it ideally but it works.

I also panned the Ac gtrs and had the electric in the middle. Maybe what I wanted was the electric guitar to play something different from the acoustic guitar. Nevertheless, as you said, it works.

(23-03-2020, 06:10 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(23-03-2020, 05:40 PM)Krabbe Wrote: I'm not sure that I'v expressed myself correctly. What I mean is that I do not understand why anyone would make a musical arrangement, where the only music is several different type of guitars all playing the same role. It wasn't in any way meant in a mixing context.
They just might have guitar players. There's something about this song that feels like an 80s Siouxsie and the Banshees Goth tune. Something simpler where people only have the players and equipment available. I'm not sure what else it could use.Like Kevinw0lf said it feels like a typical method of stereo guitars for width and an electric for some grit and 'rocknroll'. I'm not sure they executed it ideally but it works.

#nosubnoshow
(23-03-2020, 06:36 PM)Krabbe Wrote: I also panned the Ac gtrs and had the electric in the middle. Maybe what I wanted was the electric guitar to play something different from the acoustic guitar. Nevertheless, as you said, it works.

Yeah, that seems like the obvious way to go, though even with that array there's a lot of options. Think of it as orchestration. The cellos play the same part as the violins. It sums. It's one bite.

That's the beauty of mixing though! I'm tempted to do a mix eschewing that but not enough to do so.

(Sorry, I'm bored....)
Aren't we all bored these days? Wink

(23-03-2020, 06:42 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(23-03-2020, 06:36 PM)Krabbe Wrote: I also panned the Ac gtrs and had the electric in the middle. Maybe what I wanted was the electric guitar to play something different from the acoustic guitar. Nevertheless, as you said, it works.

Yeah, that seems like the obvious way to go, though even with that array there's a lot of options. Think of it as orchestration. The cellos play the same part as the violins. It sums. It's one bite.

That's the beauty of mixing though! I'm tempted to do a mix eschewing that but not enough to do so.

(Sorry, I'm bored....)

#nosubnoshow