Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrendering Mid 90s FM Sound
This one started out as a test bed for Mastering The Mix's Animate plugin, the Ignite module specifically as featured in the Focusrite Plugin Collective for this month.

Basically it's a dynamic distortion/saturation that allows you to pump up the percived level of a track without crushing it and filter it to specific areas of the source signal via a 24 dB/Octave High and Low Pass filter. I ended up using it on the low end and attack areas of the kick, the crack of the snare, and the toms in general and ended up liking the results.

The rest of the way I was going after a Live Sound style mix with some exaggerated verb on the drums and vocals but by the end I ended up throwing Waves MaxxVolume on the master bus as an experiment and with my normal SSL Bus Comp it ended up with this late 90s FM Radio sort of feel, a touch squeezed but the transients are still intact. As of now I'm kinda feeling it, but it might be a dumpster fire Big Grin

Update 1: After listening back I really went overboard on the attack of the kick and snare, for the revision the kick got rolled off in the high end and made it more boomy, the snare got a similar treatment. The solo guitar also felt a little too forward so it got hauled back a dB or so and some minor touchups were made on the vocal levels. Finally the bass got scooted up a touch and I tried some subtle verb on it

.mp3    Surrendering Mix 1 .mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

.mp3    Surrendering Mix 2 .mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
snare and kick are very loud in comparison with the rest of the mix.. feels out of place.
(18-03-2020, 08:36 AM)Shul Wrote: snare and kick are very loud in comparison with the rest of the mix.. feels out of place.

They really aren't that loud in the mix, I just got over zealous on the high end with the kick and snare
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Might have to agree with Shul on this one. I like your approaches and understand your technical descriptions but the balance suffers a bit from too much of a good thing on kick and snare. Otherwise this is a pretty good go. Nice guitar lead.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I don't think drums are too loud, perhaps there a place to sit them better but it would be small moves only. The problem with drums i have i feel lack of coherence. Kick could have more sustain, this would already improve overall impression. Despite this issue drums have nice tones. Snare is sampled? Second thing i believe stereo image is too wide. Vocal look small when grts comes in. Otherwise, it's a good job.
Mix 2 is better.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]