Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quickie that I like to call my Tree Cutting Mix
OK, so I just ran over this nice song. I call it a tree cutter mix because I mainly did cut threes, 300s and 3ks.

I have to admit that I did it quite swiftly, so there might be the occational odd frequency here , a weird gate there and so on.

Oh yeah, and my piano ended up a pretty weird place, because I tried to pan it out as if your were looking at it; lows to your left and highgs to ... yeah, the other left Wink Well, it didn't turn out great.

It's not excuses, just explanations Wink

Tips, trick and comments are still very welcomed

Edit:
So I ended up with not liking my first take on this one, so I made some alterations.

I've brought the snare, piano and synths further forward in the mix and I've pulled back the guitars a little, and I also moved the HPF on guitars a little higher. I also changed the EQ on the piano and added a litte verb there. I've also removed a lot of breathing from the lead vox, and I pulled it a little back in the 2nd verse. And then I gave the master bus a little more ro feed on.

I think it's better than my first take, but ... yeah, I don't think I'm quite there yet.

Somebody please tell me what's wrong here. Thanks

.mp3    Robert Hammon - The Elephant.mp3 --  (Download: 11.28 MB)

.mp3    Robert Hammon - The Elephant - v2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.13 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hi there i like your approach nice chorus,on 2nd verse the vocals pop out a bit too much imo,maybe some vocal ride?thanks for sharing.
Reaper user
Hey, over all it sounds ok. You've got the same thing as a lot of the other mixes do where your compressor is reeeaaalllly overemphasizing the breaths. Maybe that's what you were going for, but it's really distracting to me Wink. I like the delay effect on the vox. The BG vox are a bit to loud for my taste, but again, that's just my opinion. Just curious: why did you cut so hard at 300?
(16-03-2020, 06:55 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi there i like your approach nice chorus,on 2nd verse the vocals pop out a bit too much imo,maybe some vocal ride?thanks for sharing.

Hi

Thanks for listening and commenting.

It's duly noted, thanks Smile

#nosubnoshow
(16-03-2020, 09:57 PM)jeffssoloband Wrote: Hey, over all it sounds ok. You've got the same thing as a lot of the other mixes do where your compressor is reeeaaalllly overemphasizing the breaths. Maybe that's what you were going for, but it's really distracting to me Wink. I like the delay effect on the vox. The BG vox are a bit to loud for my taste, but again, that's just my opinion. Just curious: why did you cut so hard at 300?

Hi

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Acctually, I've never thought about the breathing issue, you mention. To be honest, I don't think that I compress vocals that aggressively; I use the Waves LA-2A on my lead vocal channel with a -3dB compression, give or take. I am however aware that this particular comp adds a lot of brightness to the mix, but colour itself shouldn't affect the breathing. I am glad you brought it up, and from here on out, I will be paying more attention to this issue.

A lot of mixes, I hear, have the BG vox bleding too much for my liking. I am aware that it is BACKGROUND vox, I do however fancy clear cut vocal, both lead and background, so I guess that I was just trying to do that. Have I over-done it then? Maybe. Again, it will be on my to-be-paid-extra-attention-list from here on out.

300 have never been a "favourite" frequency of mine. Obviously that's no reason to cut it - or is it? Wink - however, in this particular song I just felt it kept getting in my way, so to speak. I made an aggresive 300-cut on bass to reduce low-end muddiness and enhance tonality. I did the same with the guitars because I felt the 300hz reduced presence, and I did on the vocals to increase both presence and intelligibility. And then I made a not-that-aggresive 300 cut on the kick, just because it sounded odd. I am not saying that what I did was as-taken-from-a-text-book - because it isn't - but I think it helped me getting the job done.

#nosubnoshow