Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoda's Mix
My first mix trying several busses, both direct and parallel. What do you think?

EBU R128 measurement: INT -12.0 LUFS / LRA 5.4 LU / TP -0.9dB

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - Im Alright 05-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

"Es wird immer weiter geh'n, Musik als Traeger von Ideen." ~ Kraftwerk
Balance is off. Vocals are sticking out way too much, bass too. I'd focus on those 2 for now.
(15-03-2020, 09:22 PM)MakeMixingGreatAgain Wrote: Balance is off. Vocals are sticking out way too much, bass too. I'd focus on those 2 for now.
Thank you for your advice!

For Lead Vocals, I now tried to "seat them in the mix". And I just lowered the level of the bass a bit. What do you think of this new version of the mix?

EBU R128 measurement: INT -16.9 LUFS / LRA 4.6 LU / TP -1.0dB

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - Im Alright 06-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

(16-03-2020, 09:01 AM)Yoda.Earth Wrote:
(15-03-2020, 09:22 PM)MakeMixingGreatAgain Wrote: Balance is off. Vocals are sticking out way too much, bass too. I'd focus on those 2 for now.
Thank you for your advice!

For Lead Vocals, I now tried to "seat them in the mix". And I just lowered the level of the bass a bit. What do you think of this new version of the mix?

EBU R128 measurement: INT -16.9 LUFS / LRA 4.6 LU / TP -1.0dB

Now they sit much better in the mix. Vocals have very nasty resonance in the highs, probably because of boosting with shelf. Don't think i needed boost myself, rather cut ton of mud from the mids. Boosting highs always seems easier and more logical approach to go, but that doesn't fix all problems in the mids. And when you start addressing those problems, vocals as a result become papery thin and brittle. So try fixing mids first before boosting highs, it will sound WAY more natural and pleasant. Mix overall is too dull and mid-range heavy, probably because of that mud in all those other elements. Cheers
I agree the voice is way too loud.
(15-03-2020, 09:22 PM)MakeMixingGreatAgain Wrote: Now they sit much better in the mix. Vocals have very nasty resonance in the highs, probably because of boosting with shelf. Don't think i needed boost myself, rather cut ton of mud from the mids. Boosting highs always seems easier and more logical approach to go, but that doesn't fix all problems in the mids. And when you start addressing those problems, vocals as a result become papery thin and brittle. So try fixing mids first before boosting highs, it will sound WAY more natural and pleasant. Mix overall is too dull and mid-range heavy, probably because of that mud in all those other elements. Cheers

Thank you for your input!

New mix (7) in the attachment.

I worked on the lead vocals some, and tried to cut what annoyed me in the mid-range (220 and 740 Hz). I also put in a de-esser first in the inserts, and removed the top-end boosting shelve filter (you were right). Slight adjustments to the compression character settings: There are two compressors on the vocals, each taking away 2-3 dB.

And I tweaked the return of the vocal delay (more highs), to counter the dullness of the mix somewhat. I also added a little top end on drums/percussion, and the piano. I did not feel any mud in those other parts, therefore I went to the high frequencies.

I still don't like that the lead vocals sound small, compared to a quite full and broad backing track, but can't find a handle. I guess that was the reason I turned it up so much in my initial mix.

Your comments help a lot, and are much appreciated!

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - Im Alright 07-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

I did a new mix (08) that I like much better.

Main changes were on the master bus:
1) Less width, which resulted in the lead vocal now occupying more of the middle of the stereo image.
2) A 1.5dB dip at 6kHz to get rid of yet another annoying frequency.

EBU R128 measurement: INT -15.5LUFS / LRA 3.7 LU / TP -1.0

.mp3    Angels in Amplifiers - Im Alright 08-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)