Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoda's Mix
Hi, this is my first try in this forum. What do you think?

EBU R128 measurements: INT -12.6 LUFS / LRA 9.7 LU / TP -1.0 dB
I aimed at an open sounding mix, whatever that means :-)

Thanks for your comments!

.mp3    01 - Matt Szlachetka - Heart of my hometown 02-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

"Es wird immer weiter geh'n, Musik als Traeger von Ideen." ~ Kraftwerk
Hi Yoda.Earth, welcome to the forum! Just a couple things:
Your bass guitar has too much information in the 20hz - 50hz area I think, and the kick drum is not cutting through the mix. I would try increasing the kick drum volume a bit and take it from there, maybe some eq. Overall sounding good!
Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.
(20-03-2020, 11:41 AM)Eastwood Wrote: Hi Yoda.Earth, welcome to the forum! Just a couple things:
Your bass guitar has too much information in the 20hz - 50hz area I think, and the kick drum is not cutting through the mix. I would try increasing the kick drum volume a bit and take it from there, maybe some eq. Overall sounding good!
Hi Eastwood, thanks for your input!
I did a new version, not sure if I overdid it, since I'm on headphones. I can hear the difference, just don't know how it translates to (big) speakers.
hi-pass on the bass guitar, peaking filter on the base drum.
What do you think?

.mp3    Matt Szlachetka - Heart of my hometown 04-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

Kick drum sounding good! I think you might be able to raise the volume on the bass guitar a few dB, it’s a bit too quiet. The kit sounds really rockin now though! I would just make the snare a few dB quieter and I think you’ll be there. Edit: I’m not 100% on the bass/snare volume adjustments, it sounds better on a second listen but those were my first impressions.
Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.
Hi Yoda,

I've not mixed this one myself so I don't know about the challenges of this song but after a first listen I agree with Eastwood:

Raise the Bass a bit and lower the Snare and you have a very nice mix!

One question though: Why the EBU R128 measurement? Isn't that relevant for TV content only?

Cheers,
Andi
New mix, with bass up 2dB and Snare down 2 dB :-)

Thank you Devilskater666 and Eastwood for your advice and encouragement!

The EBU R128 now reads: INT -12.3 LUFS and LRA 9.9 LU at -1.0dB TP

I use the EBU R128 because it is integrating over the whole song. So it gives you an idea of overall loudness. It might get used a lot for TV. However, I'm not aware of any standard that applies to music only. Is there one? I'd be very interested to learn about it.

For my own mixes, a loudness range of 9.9 is pretty darn good, but the song is arranged so that it has quieter sections at the beginning and end ... :-)

I always aim at a high range, since I hate those overcompressed songs on pop radio. On the other hand, it's rock'n roll! These two forces make the struggle in mixing a song for me. ;-)

.mp3    Rolf Götz - Heart of my hometown 06.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)