Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death of A Romantic
(I'm new-ish to mixing with a lot to learn)

Hello, I am new here but decided to join as I recently found this wonderful website and I've been getting my feet wet with some of the content/mixing practice. I hope I can contribute some ideas in a constructive way, and I hope I can receive the same.

What I did:
I added quite a bit of compression to the snare that was originally recorded, as the snare sample provided didn't seem to match (tuning wise). I heavily shaped the sound of the kick, snare and overheads to bring out a drum sound that I desired. The sample snare was pushed back a little behind the mic'd snare to bring the robotic sample sound down. The bottom snare was low and high cut with parametric EQ and compressed/gated with reverb added to bring out the sustain and open up headroom. Guitars have lite EQ, and vocals were processed and panned for the Emmure style vocals I believe they were after. All in all, I spent 1.5-2 hours trying to bring out the sound I think they wanted, but I could do more with more time.

I believe the band envisioned a sound much like "Emmure/Acacia Strain", so I tried to keep the bass levels a little high and the instrument tones within the genre of music. This track stuck out to me as a great challenge, as the files and methods of recording/editing were very rough (imo).

Any thoughts are welcome.

.mp3    Mix Practice HxC.mp3 --  (Download: 489.88 KB)