Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - By My Side(let the bleed be fixed!)
(16-03-2020, 09:49 PM)Shul Wrote: Thanks mike.. that's actually an applicable point.. but I don't do much automation to be honest especially when it comes to plugins ... I spend too much time on those so now what i do is try to get the song to sound like a song with the less automation possible. In this case thought that's actually a great Idea... automated threshold on that de-esser... If I have time to work on that specific thing I'll get to it!!

thanks!!
To be fair, if you're going to spend time automating the threshold it might make as much sense just automating the vocal level on all the offending "esses". That way you can work it to be as seamless as possible. Or do it with a trim/gain plug in if you still want full control of the vocal level.
(16-03-2020, 10:44 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(16-03-2020, 09:49 PM)Shul Wrote: Thanks mike.. that's actually an applicable point.. but I don't do much automation to be honest especially when it comes to plugins ... I spend too much time on those so now what i do is try to get the song to sound like a song with the less automation possible. In this case thought that's actually a great Idea... automated threshold on that de-esser... If I have time to work on that specific thing I'll get to it!!

thanks!!
To be fair, if you're going to spend time automating the threshold it might make as much sense just automating the vocal level on all the offending "esses". That way you can work it to be as seamless as possible. Or do it with a trim/gain plug in if you still want full control of the vocal level.

well esser automation sounds better because you'd just be compressing a certain range of frequencies.. vocal volume automation gets rid of all frequencies in the track. But that is also a valid point if the essing is not as heavy maybe a drop on the levels would be a quick fix.. but I believe de esser automation would be more beneficial.
(16-03-2020, 11:58 PM)Shul Wrote:
(16-03-2020, 10:44 PM)RoyM Wrote:

thanks!!

well esser automation sounds better because you'd just be compressing a certain range of frequencies.. vocal volume automation gets rid of all frequencies in the track. But that is also a valid point if the essing is not as heavy maybe a drop on the levels would be a quick fix.. but I believe de esser automation would be more beneficial.
Yeah but if you just do it during the 'ess' (or whatever harsh sound) it's pretty natural. It's only a few milliseconds. In that short time there isn't much else going on frequency wise anyway.I do it all the time when I'm not too lazy. And there's less of a worry about nailing the right frequency or if there are multiple problem frequencies.
It's very good, and I like the way you brought out the subtleties of the performance. It's just that, for me, it's pushing the compression too hard, and not giving anything space to really breath.