Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Wright - By My Side
Hi,

Thought I should give it a go....

Cheers!

Update: Added v1.0 (Lowered horns volume against vocal).
Update: Added v1.1 (Taken some edge off the horn section. Might be a bit too subtle, but works for me I think..)

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

.mp3    Kat Wright - By My Side 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Very nice. Solid thorughout. Good job with her vocal. Maybe some automation on the horns around her vocal? I need to do that in mine.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

Thanks for the listen.

To clarify - do you mean sorting the horn bleed in the vocal mic, or generally automating the horns, or bit of both?

I did balance the bleed in the vocal mic in the intro before the vocal starts, but then forgot about it after that...

I'll have a go at automating the horn bleed in the vocal mic, between the vocals and see what happens. I can hear the bleed in the vocal mic is pullung the horns towards the middle a bit (when I have them panned to the left), and is also picking up the vocal processing too. Nice catch.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi,

Hmm, just gave it a quick go, but I don't think it improved anything too much. Likely I haven't quite grasped what you mean... I'll await clarification and review tomorrow. My ears are probably quite done for today anyway!

Thanks!
(04-03-2020, 12:39 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi,

Hmm, just gave it a quick go, but I don't think it improved anything too much. Likely I haven't quite grasped what you mean... I'll await clarification and review tomorrow. My ears are probably quite done for today anyway!

Thanks!

Just volume automation of the horn phrases against her vocals.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

Thanks! Nothing like overthinking things huh?

To be honest I was quite suprised at the level of horn bleed in the vocal mike when I checked. I did the mix with all faders up, and only soloed to track things down that were bothering me, so I only really noticed the horn bleed during the intro, which I balanced out, didn't seem to worry me much after that.

Anyway, seems I did automate the horns, but yeah too conservatively I think. I've added another version with a bit more of a volume drop for the horns mics when they are playing at the same time as the vocals. Perhaps a subtle change, but likely makes the difference.

Cheers!
You managed the bleed on the vocals well.. I'm just missing a bit more bass.. but it's totally ok as i don't really have a good reference for bass.. I'm mixing with headphones and not great at reproducing super low end.
keep it up. sounds well balanced. You might want to create a lil more crunchiness with some fx. Smile
Hi!

Thanks for listening and for the comments. I think the bass level is ok? I wanted it kind of 'just there' really.

Oh - saw your comment on MiTC post re: dealing with the vocal bleed.

Don't know if it helps:

My approach was to embrace all the bleed. I used the vocal mic in the same way as you would the overheads when mixing drums, and blended everything else to it. All I have on the vocal mic is a little high pass and high shelf eq, and a bit of reverb. No compression, just volume automation to level out the vocal. The high shelf eq also adds a bit of top end to the snare, etc, so I was listening for that kind of thing too. I basically tried to do as little processing as possible to not upset the bleed too much. I didn't do any processing in solo, as much as possible, to hear the overall effect of eq moves in context.
Cheers!
Hi mike,

Whoa this real real nice. Very natural, very good representation of what the band is doing. Overall balance is great!

The Bari gets a bit "hard" at some places, but I'm just nitpicking.

Great job on "embrace all the bleed"
Hi!

Thanks for listening and for the comments. I like to listen to a lot of the old RVG Blue Note Jazz recordings so I do like a bit of a more raw sound I guess. Saying that I'm sure I have a Boney James album around somewhere too. Listening back I feel I could maybe soften up the horns just a touch though. I am going to bring the session back and see if I can tweak it a bit, without going too far the other way.

Cheers!