Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Widow - voelund
Saw Mike had another song up so I had to give that a go.
Well recorded and she sings great, and the songwriting also very not just the oridnary down the road popsong and I like that a lot !
I played around with mute button a lot and moved a voice part or 2, and I made some kind of an endin, it sounded wrong to me the song just stopped I needed a conclusive noise, to keep the mood flying away.

For masterin I tried the trick of takin versees down slightly, I think it worked well.

I deliberately didnt listen other mixes of the song before tryin it out myself, and its fun some of the same ideas came to both Spede and me. Cant be that wrong then Big Grin

Excited to hear your comments.

OBS: Alternate version in post 6.

.mp3    Widow 04 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I love the ambience you've given the song!! And I can't make up my mind about what I like the best: the bass? the vocals? the delays? you made it hard for me to decide!!!
mixing since April 2013
Very positive reply and I thank you.
I just got some new (to me that is) IR to work, a very expensive verb called Bricasti M7 and they sound great.
They didnt work with Logic so I had to convert them to something that worked. Now I have more options, and great soundin too, the only downside is it takes ages to decide which one to choose when you have so many choices Big Grin

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-im...responses/
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi Voeland,

You clearly had a lot of fun doing this one, and it certainly takes the cake so far for arrangement shenanigans! In that respect it appeals to me a great deal, and I love the stark contrasts you create between many of the elements using your effects -- reinvents a lot of them, in fact, which takes a bit of getting used to when you're as familiar with this track as well as I do, although I'm certainly not going to say that's a bad thing, because I've already heard so many great new ideas in the four mixes that have been posted that it's very inspirational for me!

Can't really judge the sonics too well from my PC speakers, but I do wonder whether some of the backing vocals sound a bit too narrow and distant, particularly the prechorus and the chorus countermelody. I also wonder whether the muting actions, while attention grabbing (which is great) might be undermining the overall groove of the track too much -- it seems to be getting a bit too stop-start for me to tap my foot to at times, particularly during the second verse. I also wonder whether the choruses don't quite sound full enough, compared with, say, the middle-section. The way you've dealt with the backing vocals may be part of this impression for me.

Love the way you've treated the percussive loop, though, bringing it in and out as a feature, rather than just using it consistently as a groove element as I did. Wish I'd done that, actually... Smile I also like the way you've made the prechoruses and choruses a bit more call-and-response in general between the vocal sample, the pads, the ad libs, and the BVs. Clever use of the resources there, I think.

Thanks for posting! Lots of great versions we're getting of this... Cool ending by the way -- I was never really happy with one on the preview mix.
What I really like about your comments is the fact you rather talk about the good things and almost excuse if you have suggestions for change or things you dont like. Thats a most encouraging way of givin feedback and we all could learn a great deal from that. Also the length and detail is so much better than a reply like "More bas"

Thank you !

I gues I were too bold and enthusiastic about the start stop o rhythm loop. Youre right it kills the rhythmic flow and 1 maybe 2 times in 2nd verse will make more sense.
The percussion loop just talked to me that way, together with the rise of the clav1 its a cool scary effect I think. Sometimes the silence can speak more than sound, specially after a dramatic entry, as you talk about in Spedes reply.

As for the bv I tried to make them blend rather than bein clear. And some places they even make a conversation ( when helped a little )

Thank you for the comment, the way you comment and for this site in general.
I admit it - Im a flamin thief. I stole the idea of echo on the background vocals, it sounded too good.
I tried adding a distortion bus, just a guitar amp eq´d so it didnt fill all available space and added to chorus vocals and the third bv and some instruments.
Also I unmuted some bits o the rhythm loop in 2nd verse - I killed the rhythmic flow there and Im a thief but I dont want to be a killer too.

Thanks for the ideas, I kinda like this new one Big Grin

.mp3    Widow 05 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

Listening to the latest submit (05 lim)...

While you've got yourself a great ambienceful mood for the whole song (and the bass sounds great), I feel the bottom end of the rhythm section isn't hitting as hard as it should. I had boost the low end over 10 dBs to get the drum low end feel appropriate in these tracks.

But after that I don't what to add to this. I really liked the changes you made for the middle-8 section.
Thank you lots for the feedback. I will look into lowend as you suggest. May I ask hos you made the snare sound so good ? Glad you like the changes. Im a sucker for call response and conversations. Also in music Big Grin