Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Comfort Lives In Believe - Simman
Really dig the vibe/grove of this song. Guitar solos get a bit messy but all in all are workable. Anyhow, here's my take and welcome your feedback.

Thanks

.mp3    Comfort Lives in Believe_TK2_Simman.mp3 --  (Download: 5.85 MB)

Wherever you go...there you are
(24-11-2013, 11:24 PM)simman Wrote: Really dig the vibe/grove of this song. Guitar solos get a bit messy but all in all are workable. Anyhow, here's my take and welcome your feedback.

Thanks

Hm. This is the first mix I've heard so far that actually brings out that "telephone voice" in the end. How'd you do that? I couldn't even achieve that in MY mix, and from what I've heard everyone else is having problems bringing it out as well. Smile

Speaking of my mix, this sounds very similar to my approach so naturally I like it. Smile Just a few minor quibbles:

1. Drums are a little loud; I'd take them down 2-3 dB.
2. Everything seems just a tad harsh, vocals included; it's not a dealbreaker but it could be better. Maybe too much content in the 5-6 kHz range? Might want to make sure you're not boosting too many tracks in that part of the spectrum.
3. I'd bring the bass up a bit, maybe 1-2 dB. Whatever you did to it, it sounds nice and full and I think deserves a little more presence.
4. Vocals are wee bit understated; I'd pull them up 1-2 dB.

Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable mix. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(06-01-2014, 07:14 AM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(24-11-2013, 11:24 PM)simman Wrote: Really dig the vibe/grove of this song. Guitar solos get a bit messy but all in all are workable. Anyhow, here's my take and welcome your feedback.

Thanks

Hm. This is the first mix I've heard so far that actually brings out that "telephone voice" in the end. How'd you do that? I couldn't even achieve that in MY mix, and from what I've heard everyone else is having problems bringing it out as well. Smile

Speaking of my mix, this sounds very similar to my approach so naturally I like it. Smile Just a few minor quibbles:

1. Drums are a little loud; I'd take them down 2-3 dB.
2. Everything seems just a tad harsh, vocals included; it's not a dealbreaker but it could be better. Maybe too much content in the 5-6 kHz range? Might want to make sure you're not boosting too many tracks in that part of the spectrum.
3. I'd bring the bass up a bit, maybe 1-2 dB. Whatever you did to it, it sounds nice and full and I think deserves a little more presence.
4. Vocals are wee bit understated; I'd pull them up 1-2 dB.

Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable mix. Smile

Pedaling Prince, thanks for taking the time to listen and providing the feedback. It is greatly appreciated and I agree with most of your comments.

As for how I got the "telephone voice" to cut through...I actually did nothing. There is nothing on the track accept for some reverb.

Thanks again for the comments.
(01-02-2014, 06:42 AM)simman Wrote: As for how I got the "telephone voice" to cut through...I actually did nothing. There is nothing on the track accept for some reverb.

Really? There was no automation or anything?

What kind of reverb were you using?
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Yep, no automation... nothing but a Lexicon PCM series vintage plate reverb.

Thanks

hi there,
if the guitar solos were messy to you, why not fix it? perhaps muting parts that didn't fit the song, or even creating your own mashed up guitar track from the parts available? you had options, but leaving it as it was shouldn't have been your ideal, i'd suggest.

i complement you on keeping the bass elements pretty well down the middle and away from the sides, that was neat. i found the kick a bit boomy and loose, if you know what i mean?

the bass guitar was the most challenging to sort out in this project, because it was uncontrolled on the lows, but almost like an electric guitar after about 130Hz'ish, like it had a split personality? what could you have done to fix this, or get it sounding more like a bass guitar?

i've listened to classical solo performances by renowned pianists in Cheltenham Town Hall, to cozy blues in smoke-filled bars in Cape Town....but i've still yet to hear one in stereo though. however, mixing this down to mono has consequences, right? furthermore, in downmixing, it means you have one less track to fit into an already VERY busy mix (especially if you choose to keep it busy!). i should be able to close my eyes while listening to your mix and be able to point to each musician and visualise how far they are away from me....and have some idea of the size of the room and even how reflective it is.....

all good fun, eh?
cheers, Dave

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(03-03-2014, 11:31 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:

Thanks

hi there,
if the guitar solos were messy to you, why not fix it? perhaps muting parts that didn't fit the song, or even creating your own mashed up guitar track from the parts available? you had options, but leaving it as it was shouldn't have been your ideal, i'd suggest.

i complement you on keeping the bass elements pretty well down the middle and away from the sides, that was neat. i found the kick a bit boomy and loose, if you know what i mean?

the bass guitar was the most challenging to sort out in this project, because it was uncontrolled on the lows, but almost like an electric guitar after about 130Hz'ish, like it had a split personality? what could you have done to fix this, or get it sounding more like a bass guitar?

i've listened to classical solo performances by renowned pianists in Cheltenham Town Hall, to cozy blues in smoke-filled bars in Cape Town....but i've still yet to hear one in stereo though. however, mixing this down to mono has consequences, right? furthermore, in downmixing, it means you have one less track to fit into an already VERY busy mix (especially if you choose to keep it busy!). i should be able to close my eyes while listening to your mix and be able to point to each musician and visualise how far they are away from me....and have some idea of the size of the room and even how reflective it is.....

all good fun, eh?
cheers, Dave

Thanks for listening and giving your feedback. To your point of why I didn't fix the guitar sols: 1.) I'm not a guitar player & 2.) this is a mixing forum and IMO fixing a poor performance is not part of mixing, it is production (as in it should have been re-tracked). All I did was take what was provided and tried to deliver a balanced mix.

I agree the kick is a tad boomy though.

Thanks for the comments it is greatly appreciated.
(15-03-2014, 09:01 PM)simman Wrote:
(03-03-2014, 11:31 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:

Thanks

hi there,

all good fun, eh?
cheers, Dave

Thanks for listening and giving your feedback. To your point of why I didn't fix the guitar sols: 1.) I'm not a guitar player & 2.) this is a mixing forum and IMO fixing a poor performance is not part of mixing, it is production (as in it should have been re-tracked). All I did was take what was provided and tried to deliver a balanced mix.

I agree the kick is a tad boomy though.

Thanks for the comments it is greatly appreciated.

Very good point
To mix or not to mix ... mix!