Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My version of the one
Please rate my mix and provide feedback if you feel like it.

Thanks!

.mp3    TheOne.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

Toms sounds really boomy at least at the intro. Later in the mix that doesn't disturb as much.
There is some fx in the lead voc. One time it is really thin and then dark.
Those synths (synth 1) a little bit jump out of mix or up front.
Snare sounds kind of distant. Could be closer sound and a little closer in space to those el drums.
And for my taste the mix pumps too much.
Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
Hi Moonwrist. Thanks for your constructive criticism. I appreciate you being specific as opposed to saying "I didn't like it" like some people do. I will have another listen to my mix and listen out for the things you have mentioned and see if I can improve on it. Thanks for the feedback!
Hello (forgot that in the first post)

Just remember that these are just my opinions and not the ultimate truth carved in stone.
I listened your mix second time.
The thing bothering me with the lead voc fx is probably that it is unnatural but the bvox are (or are closer to natural sound).
Maybe that could be the other way round? Keep the lead voc clear and add fx to double tracks?
Pumping is probably from master comp and is most noticeable at the last chorus. Maybe you could try a multi-band comp or add more compression/limiting to drums and/or bass groups.
Become a better mixer.
(09-12-2013, 08:37 AM)Moonwrist Wrote: Hello (forgot that in the first post)

Just remember that these are just my opinions and not the ultimate truth carved in stone.
I listened your mix second time.
The thing bothering me with the lead voc fx is probably that it is unnatural but the bvox are (or are closer to natural sound).
Maybe that could be the other way round? Keep the lead voc clear and add fx to double tracks?
Pumping is probably from master comp and is most noticeable at the last chorus. Maybe you could try a multi-band comp or add more compression/limiting to drums and/or bass groups.

Haha, for sure. I realise it is just your opinion but I still like to go back and listen and bearing your comments in mind, see if your suggested adjustments would in my opinion make the mix sound better as I think you made a valid point about the snare drum. Regarding the lead vocal, I put that chorus effect on purposefully as it is meant to sound spacey/science fiction as that is what always comes into my mind when listening to the track. I had very, very subtle multiband compression and I think my problem is that my gain staging wasn't great so the song was running very hot in the mixing phase which left me with very little headroom. I am still trying to figure this out. I start mixing as soft as possible but by the time my compressors are on and I have my parallel compression going, my headroom just gets less and less!
In case you'r after an effected lead voc you might try a chorus with a little faster rate settings. So it wouldn't sound dull in one sentence and sharp in next.
Science fiction sound is OK, but I'm still waiting terminator or robocop to sing a verse for me Wink

Don't know if this is helpful but try mix with only a master limiter on. When you have your mix in somehow complete start adding plugins to master.
I have found this an easy method for me. I don't pretend that the mix is final when I start to add plugin to master but it is as good as it can be with only the limiter on. I will change my mix after I add a master comp or master eq or master multibandcomp.
Become a better mixer.
(16-12-2013, 06:18 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: In case you'r after an effected lead voc you might try a chorus with a little faster rate settings. So it wouldn't sound dull in one sentence and sharp in next.
Science fiction sound is OK, but I'm still waiting terminator or robocop to sing a verse for me Wink

Don't know if this is helpful but try mix with only a master limiter on. When you have your mix in somehow complete start adding plugins to master.
I have found this an easy method for me. I don't pretend that the mix is final when I start to add plugin to master but it is as good as it can be with only the limiter on. I will change my mix after I add a master comp or master eq or master multibandcomp.

LOL @ Robocop!! Classic! Big Grin Thanks for the advice, I shall give it a go on my next mix.