Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Myles - Alone With You
Hi,

My attempt. Cheers!

.mp3    Justin Myles - Alone With You.mp3 --  (Download: 17.08 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey mike,

Love the mix. Real straight forward, balanced really well, and you have some great tones. I love what you did with the toms!

Really nice work!

Draper
Oh, thanks! Appreciate you taking the time to check it out.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hey Mike,

Thanks again for your feedback on my mix of this song.

I am listening on headphones so I may not give the most accurate feedback (can try to listen again in the studio when I get a chance). I'll try my best to give some helpful/actionable thoughts.

I thought it was cool to give the music / instrumental tracks a dry feel and the vocals and drums wetter (in terms of reverb). That's pretty unique. The tracks sound consistent in level and great separation. The bass has some fun sub harmonics going on that feel good.

As far as critiques, I find it interesting that things you disliked about my mix are some things I dislike about your mix. I guess that's just a difference in taste. I would like to pull the vocal back a good 2-3 dB at least. Also, I think the vocal is a bit harsh and sibilant and could benefit from some de-essing or some smoothing in the upper midrange. Also, as a whole, the mix feels too compressed for me, like it's a rock mix. Just curious what you may have referenced for this mix? Soul music (at least to me) generally has a punchier feel to it and this feels like a "loud" mix to me, not necessarily punchy. I would also pull the acoustics down a bit because they get a bit distracting in the louder passages.

All in all, well done, and a cool perspective on this track. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Check out my work at www.apshinn.com
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out and for taking the time to comment. It kind of felt like lots of people were posting mixes recently, but perhaps not making many comments as such. As I'd mixed this track before I thought I'd comment on your mix and also give you the chance to comment back Smile.

I feel this was perhaps one of my better mixes. Can't say I ever found the vocals sibilant as such, though I did want them really up front and personal. I think I might have actually used the Waves Sibilance de-esser on it back then. (Well, I thought it was a de-esser...). I also don't recall that I squashed the mix that much. I would say I only did a db or so reduction on the master comp. Might just be the mix balance, as I think I spent quite some time on it. Difficult to check properly though as I've since uninstalled most of the plugins I used back then.

I don't think I referenced anything other than the library mix for this one. I recall I was basically testing out some reverbs. I don't really disagree regarding the genre comment. Maybe it could do with a bit more kick. Not quite sure what tracks I would reference for this to be honest. I guess a modern soul sound could be anything from that kind of faux 70's sound, 80's, 90's, or more bass heavy modern R&B. I suppose I don't really listen to much modern soul, aside from the more soulful side of house. Albums like the 1979 Stephanie Mills album What Cha Gonna Do with My Lovin produced by Reggie Lucas are amongst my favourites though.

Always nice to have an alternative perspective on things. In general I find it helps to consider things from a different angle as it generally improves my mixing.

Cheers!