Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino on the loose - armanrozika mix (no fx, volume and panning balance only)
Hi, this is my mix without any effect, not even eq, just volume balance and panning. I just want to prove to myself that a great recording is already sounded good without any effect. Of course it needs effect to make it even more interesting

.mp3    Dino On The Loose.mp3 --  (Download: 7 MB)

Hi!

Excellent and refreshing post. Great points, and quite a nice mix too. It's the right approach I think. I have some thoughts, which may or may not be of use, or actually any good, but hey... (I've been thinking about this a lot just recently).

The mix might not actually need any effects adding to make it more interesting. Before adding eq and effects, you might perhaps try experimenting with volume automation to enhance the interest, and to also help sculpt the 'long term dynamics' of the mix?

You can bring interesting phrases to the listeners attention, whilst pushing other things to the background temporarily if they are masking, etc. Just an example - around the 44 sec mark, you could maybe raise up the volume of the organ part, between the synth riff phrases?

I think good live bands kind of mix themselves in this manner to a degree, and you can enhance this a bit if required - by moving some things back and forward with automation throughout the mix. You can highlight what you want to hear more of. You might find you end up feeling you need to add less eq and fewer effects.

If the overall tone and natural ambience of the recording is good, you might not need to do much. Perhaps nothing other than removing a bit of low end rumble, setting a balance, and a touch of automation.

It's taken me a while, but I have started thinking back along these lines... I realise I have messed up a lot (all?) of my mixes by over processing, adding too much reverb/effects and over eq'ing, etc.... I feel you might be ahead of the curve here.

Anyway, apologies - I seem to have rambled on a bit. I saw your post, agreed with your way of thinking, and enjoyed your mix. Good luck!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi Mikej, thank you very much for your comment, I really appreciate it. You are absolutely right about automation, it's the one thing that I can't tackle as I am still learning how to use automation properly, especially in my DAW (I'm using FL studio), I usually ended up with pretty bad balance once I mess with the automation. Man, you can read my mind haha, for the past week I've been watching tutorials on how to do automation properly in my DAW. I think automation is a big part on every mix.

Once I have the money, I will buy the gear so I don't have to automate using mouse, it is really frustrating in FL studio.

Thanks again man Smile

Cheers!!!
I do have a faderport but I find I really prefer to use the mouse or touchpad and draw in the automation. You might find you can get on ok without one perhaps, and save some cash.

Yeah, first off you need to practice and get comfortable with your daw automation. It can seem a bit of a chore to set up when you first start with it, but it soon becomes second nature with practice. Sometimes there are preferences and things you can set to make it work the way you want a bit better too. It's well worth spending a week or two to get into it.

It might make things easier if you mark out the intro - verse 1 - chorus - verse 2- bridge - chorus - chorus - outtro, etc in the daw first. This will help you to keep track of where you are. You can then work section by section. This might help stop you from getting into too much of a mess.

If you have got a good initial balance, you'll find you'll only need to push a snare fill, or whatever up by a few dBs for it to be highlighted in the mix. Then you'll start noticing the odd vocal phrase that needs pushing up a bit, etc, etc, then you'll be away.

Once you start getting the hang of it, you can start thinking about the volume balance between sections - you know - making the chorus bigger than the verses, etc. It's also worth checking out commercial tracks for ideas and practice too. Pick an instrument (or vocals) and follow the volume level throughout the track, and then listen to the volume level relative to other instruments - kick/snare etc.

That's some of the theory anyway. I'm still very much working on the practice part. For me, it seems to learn how to mix, first, you have to learn how to mix....

Oh, there's a lot more info and depth on this topic in Mike Senior's book too of course.

Cheers!

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I like your version ,It has a pretty good balance considering no eq or automation and a rehearsal / live recording room vibe and you have done a very good job capturing that.
while listening thinking If you want to bring the mix to another level Some radical eq moves are required to give the instruments more space !
It's been a few years since I mixed this and due for a revisit soon !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(10-02-2020, 06:40 PM)mikej Wrote: I do have a faderport but I find I really prefer to use the mouse or touchpad and draw in the automation. You might find you can get on ok without one perhaps, and save some cash.

Yeah, first off you need to practice and get comfortable with your daw automation. It can seem a bit of a chore to set up when you first start with it, but it soon becomes second nature with practice. Sometimes there are preferences and things you can set to make it work the way you want a bit better too. It's well worth spending a week or two to get into it.

It might make things easier if you mark out the intro - verse 1 - chorus - verse 2- bridge - chorus - chorus - outtro, etc in the daw first. This will help you to keep track of where you are. You can then work section by section. This might help stop you from getting into too much of a mess.

If you have got a good initial balance, you'll find you'll only need to push a snare fill, or whatever up by a few dBs for it to be highlighted in the mix. Then you'll start noticing the odd vocal phrase that needs pushing up a bit, etc, etc, then you'll be away.

Once you start getting the hang of it, you can start thinking about the volume balance between sections - you know - making the chorus bigger than the verses, etc. It's also worth checking out commercial tracks for ideas and practice too. Pick an instrument (or vocals) and follow the volume level throughout the track, and then listen to the volume level relative to other instruments - kick/snare etc.

That's some of the theory anyway. I'm still very much working on the practice part. For me, it seems to learn how to mix, first, you have to learn how to mix....

Oh, there's a lot more info and depth on this topic in Mike Senior's book too of course.

Cheers!

Yeah, there's a lot to learn, but it's fun for sure. Yes I have already mark the song part, but there's still tons of knobs that I don't know what is it for, need to get really comfortable with the DAW as you said.

Thank you for your comment, it encourages me, I really appreciate it.

Cheers!!!
(11-02-2020, 10:10 AM)thedon Wrote: I like your version ,It has a pretty good balance considering no eq or automation and a rehearsal / live recording room vibe and you have done a very good job capturing that.
while listening thinking If you want to bring the mix to another level Some radical eq moves are required to give the instruments more space !
It's been a few years since I mixed this and due for a revisit soon !

Cheers Big Grin

Hi, thank you for stoppin by!!! Smile

Yes, of course it needs eq move to make it more balanced. I am waiting for your revisit, hehe