Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triviul/The Fiend, "Widow" TChianti mix1
Guess I'm first up?
Balances might be off?
Great track and vocals all around. Smile

.mp3    Widow TChianti Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.66 MB)

(21-11-2013, 09:50 PM)TChianit Wrote: Guess I'm first up?
Balances might be off?
Great track and vocals all around. Smile

Just some tweaks for good measure. Smile

.mp3    Widow TChianti Mix 1Tweaks.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Glad you liked the track! It sounds like it too -- great version this. Can't really judge the pure sonics on my little PC speakers, but the vibe you've generated is terrific! Very immersive and apt for the lyrics. Give it a great dark, lush atmosphere I really like. Love how you've really made a feature of the bass line too. Your ear for creative effects is excellent, I think. I love the patch on the bass/clav and on the various synth lines.

It's great to hear a version so different from my own which works so well in its own right -- arguably it's more effective, in fact, I'd say. Only query, balance-wise: should the main chorus melody be higher in the balance during the final choruses? It seems a bit like the countermelody becomes the main melody there. I can see the justification for consciously doing this, but I'm not whether you're actually doing it deliberately.

Great work -- thanks for posting!
Hah! Also just realised you left out the doubletracks on the lead part during the choruses -- good call!
(22-11-2013, 07:52 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Glad you liked the track! It sounds like it too -- great version this. Can't really judge the pure sonics on my little PC speakers, but the vibe you've generated is terrific! Very immersive and apt for the lyrics. Give it a great dark, lush atmosphere I really like. Love how you've really made a feature of the bass line too. Your ear for creative effects is excellent, I think. I love the patch on the bass/clav and on the various synth lines.

It's great to hear a version so different from my own which works so well in its own right -- arguably it's more effective, in fact, I'd say. Only query, balance-wise: should the main chorus melody be higher in the balance during the final choruses? It seems a bit like the countermelody becomes the main melody there. I can see the justification for consciously doing this, but I'm not whether you're actually doing it deliberately.

Great work -- thanks for posting!

And thank you Mike for taking the time for the listen! Smile
When I was balancing the chorus it just seemed a bit more interesting to me that way.
Lots of great input. Again a big thanks for the comments and the listen. Great site btw, I thank you for all your efforts.

Tom
Listening to the "Tweaks" mix...

Overall I felt this mix was quite heavily compressed in the master bus; the choruses seem to play quieter than the verses. Sometimes when working with lots of bus compression it might better to make the chorus work first and then ride stuff down for the verses (riding master fader can be really helpful). This way you'll avoid overloading the master. The first mix is easier on the ears in this sense.

The stereo spread in the bass is quite heavy too. Sometimes little stereo-detune can work miracles in a bass to make it sound huge but usually we try to avoid any fatigue.
(24-11-2013, 01:21 PM)Spede Wrote: Listening to the "Tweaks" mix...

Overall I felt this mix was quite heavily compressed in the master bus; the choruses seem to play quieter than the verses. Sometimes when working with lots of bus compression it might better to make the chorus work first and then ride stuff down for the verses (riding master fader can be really helpful). This way you'll avoid overloading the master. The first mix is easier on the ears in this sense.

The stereo spread in the bass is quite heavy too. Sometimes little stereo-detune can work miracles in a bass to make it sound huge but usually we try to avoid any fatigue.

Thanks for taking the time to do a critical listen. All points are valid. I think that the choruses could have been lifted more in the mix though instead of it being a compression aspect of the master buss compressor.
Upon listening back I feel I tried to make it louder over all and that is the culprit. Oh well we try.
Thanks again for the great comments. Smile

Tom