Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkride - Burning Bridges
There is an annoying humming on the guitars i tried dealing with them without ripping the mid range apart. Got it fairly low
Really like those BV its kinda addictive
This would be my take on this feedback is welcome

V2: Turned some knobs. Maybe too much? Ive got a problem being heavy handed.

.mp3    MixdownV2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.18 MB)

.mp3    Mixdown2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.18 MB)

You should have checked the FAQ before mixing this song Smile

Regarding the "annoying hum": I don't want to criticize the choices you have made for this mix but I can't remember we had such distorted, fizzy and unpleasant sounding guitars on the original recording Smile I definitely had no plans to go for a "Gothenburg" buzzsaw guitar tone that you would normally expect from a Swedish death metal band from the 90s because back when we recorded this song I was more into warm, "brown" guitar tones like the stuff you hear on the old Killswitch records.

Just in case you don't know what I mean with Gothenburg sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MdH7JWkSxA

So yeah, you can imagine that I was very surprised that you gave us the full Gothenburg treatment on this mix, hahaha Smile Your mix does sound somewhat fresh compared with the other 250+ mixes on this site, I´ll give you that. But you are the first one complaining about an annoying hum so I guess it has more to do with your choice of fizzy over the top distortion than with the guitar sound itself? But I can be wrong on this one - keep on mixing Smile
I haven't mix a lot of "warm" metal mostly just the hard buzz death metal sounding stuff, and i have neglected to read the FAQ when i was downloading the multi tracks mb. So i went ahead, did my own thing and mixed it according to my tastes i guess.Anyways appreciate the feedback, criticism is always welcome.
(04-02-2020, 07:32 AM)LT808 Wrote: There is an annoying humming on the guitars i tried dealing with them without ripping the mid range apart. Got it fairly low
Really like those BV its kinda addictive
This would be my take on this feedback is welcome

When I mixed this I didn't notice any hum whatsoever on the guitars, for the most part everything was recorded very well, especially the vocals. Maybe it was something happening in your DAW or with your setup?

In any case, mixing another artists' work is really all about showcasing the band as they want/intend to sound first, and then perhaps balancing that with the sounds typical of the genre. You want it to standup against other similar recordings whilst preserving the band's original sound. Killswitch are unusual I would say in the metal genre, because they favour hi gain tones and amps more typical of the 80s than anything else. So the instincts of a mix engineer on hearing Burning Bridges would be to go with a Soilwork heavily processed type approach for the guitars. But Blitz had stated that he preferred a Van Halen'esque guitar sound.

The importance of this shouldn't be overlooked, as your mix is quite a competent one, but if you had been hired by the band, you could've found yourself starting from scratch again simply because it isn't what they wanted.
In the FAQ for Hammer Down there is a quote from the legendary Randy Staub that sums it up pretty well:

"Your personal inclinations as a mixer won’t always align with that of the band & producer. Paying close attention to a client’s rough mix is the easiest way to gain some quick insight into their vision for the track and help you to determine the sonic direction to take it in. The band and producer have probably been listening-to & tweaking the rough mixes for weeks, even months before finally handing the sessions over to you. Chances are: They’re probably already in the same ballpark as what they want the end product to sound like. A mixer’s job is often simply to realize the artist’s vision and try to make it sound clearer, punchier, wider, etc… not to re-imagine and change the entire thing (Unless you’ve been told otherwise…) If the client wanted the final mix to sound drastically different from the rough, they probably would have recorded it differently in the first place!"