Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Francis Dunnery: 'Immaculate'
My mix of this beautiful song!!

Comments and advice always welcomed!! Smile

.mp3    Francis Dunnery - Immaculate.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

mixing since April 2013
(21-11-2013, 08:20 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: My mix of this beautiful song!!

Comments and advice always welcomed!! Smile

Linda mezcla Juan!!! me gustaria un poco mas de brillo, en el snare y en las voces, me gusta mucho la rev que pusiste en la voz.
Lo demas esta bueno , es un track muy dificil quiza me anime a mezclarlo y ver que se puede hacer.
un abrazo!!
Nice balance
I like the reverb on the vocal,maybe on the vocal around 7k boost and a touch less bottom around 230-250 hz !
The kick sound a little full somewhere around the 100-150 hz range could come down a touch and the beater sounds boxy somewhere around the 600hz range Big Grin!

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Here's the song with your suggestions applied!

now the snare and the vocals are a little bit brighter and the kick less aggresive.

I hope now my mix is really 'immaculate' like the song!! Big Grin

.mp3    Francis Dunnery - Immaculate.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Yes the snare vocals and kick sound much better !
There is a slight booming resonance at somewhere around 155-165 hz I thinks it is the toms Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

yes it was the floor tom exactly at 155 Hz!!!!! you got it!!!! Do you have a couple of spare ears for me? Big Grin

.mp3    Francis Dunnery - Immaculate.mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Hi Juan
Youve given the drums a big role in this, and I can understand that as modern music have a tradition of building around the drums. This particular recording is made around the guitar if you read the notes on Telefunkens site. And listnin to the timin of the drums, and the whole rhythm group for that matter, its obvious that they follow the guitar and do a great job of doin so, but that means the guitar (acc) should be loud and clear enough to take that leadin role. As youve mixed it the drums lead the battle and they keep time but dont play time.
A more musical way of mixin it would be makin a killer acc guitar sound and make that the leader of the pack (do you mix a lot o the direct track ? If so I suggest lookin into makin more use of the mic tracks and pay atttention to phase issues. i remember nudgin phase and findin a nice balance and eq that way and strengthen that with normal eq. Fine tuning the phase can actually act as a very strong eq)
Your kick and snare sounds fine, no doubt about that and I like the snare room too.
Just think you should change the lvls to make the music come through better.
And thumbs up for goin easy on the limiter, the louder part in the end doesnt get killed by the limiter.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Hi, Niels! Well, lately I've been reading and learning about how to improve my drums (which was one of my many weaknesses when mixing), and that's maybe why in this mix, drums became that important.

Before I change the levels (give me a few days to rest my ears), let me answer your question. What I did was listen to the four guitar tracks supplied. I liked a couple of them better than the others, so I only used those two I liked. I checked the phase problems I found and mixed them just as a support instrument and not as the lead one. I also multed the guitar tracks and equalized them in different way according to the song section they were played since the same EQ was not ok for the whole song.

What should I do then? use all the guitar tracks supplied and combine them in order to make a stronger guitar sound?

Thank you once more for all your help and patience!! You're making me "see" more things in each mix all the time and that's good!! :-)
mixing since April 2013
IM writing this away from my music computer so excuse the not very precise answer.

Your idea of choosing a couple o mics could be the problem, if that means choosin a couple o mics for EACH guitar. There are 2 guitar parts originally, each recorded with four mics. My talk of blendin a DI signal I have to excuse to age and bad memory Big Grin
What I did were phase nudgin the one guitar mic I choose with the vocal mic of the male singer.
At least I seem to remember that one of the guitars were recorded in same take as the vocals and thus have vocal spill on it.

Once you have a good strong acc guitar signal my advice would be mixin evry other instrument a little under those, as they have the leadin role and evrybody else use them for keepin time. Try to listen to the drums soloed and you will hear him speed up and delay hits for when guitar is on again.

Technically there is nothin wrong with your mix, I were talkin plain musical judgements Big Grin

Good work and congrats on bein confident in drums also. It shows !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I loved your creative take on this mix!

At first i wasn't sure if i liked it but as the song went on i found myself hooked to the kick drum/bass and the EQ cut to the acoustic guitar. All the elements of the mix sit really well together.

I was enjoying it so much, by the time the guitar solo came around i had my eyes closed - but then at 3.01 I was awoken when the lead guitar panning changed and it took me a little while to get my bearings back again.

Was there a technical reason for this change in panning or was it just artistic choice?

One again, really nice job and creative vision