Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!NEW! - Robert Hammon's - The Elephant
(06-02-2020, 12:03 PM)Lethan Wrote: Hi MixinTC
In overall it's a cool mix. Blance feels okey. godd tones and dynamiC. But.
I dont think the synth works in such upfront place. It's like changing the genre. and is also very reach in harmonics make mix feels a bit to reach in terms of denisity. I've got this impreassion.
Second thing, i'd play with reverb for vocal, as the one you choose feels a miss. Other elements sounds great. Reassuming i would just give it straight forward sound without too much experiminatation. Cheers!

Hi Lethan,
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

It seems no one is a fan of the synth nor the lead vocal treatment. If I may, let me explain my thinking:

I was going for as much tension in this approach as I could as a reference to the angst the singer is portraying, hence the aggressive synth (to match the timbre and power of the guitars) and the vocals as a statement of tension. In the first verse (as opposed to the second and third) there is a guitar figure behind the vocal. While I did drop that guitar line in the mix to give more room for the vocal to be intelligible, I found I needed to get very bold with the EQ on the vocal to get it to cut against that guitar part. In listening to most other mixes, the vocal in the first verse gets lost to that same guitar part. This was my solution to that. My second and third verses have the lead vocal level reduced since there is no guitar line for it to compete against. Those verses sound a bit more cohesive. The first verse vocal level is meant to grab the ear and drive home the lyric.

Again, thanks for the listen and comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(05-02-2020, 02:20 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good. A couple of things that jump out at me. I kinda like that Synth 1 is louder than usual. I'm just not sure if it's too upfront or if it's dry or what but it feels 'layered' on top of the mix and subtly pushed the rest of the mix back. I think the complex tone of it also played a part since it takes up a lot of frequency real estate.

The snare is a little small for my taste.

First line of the bridge get swallowed. Is there some modulation of some sort on the vocal at that point? It's cool but the first line gets swallowed and it should come in a bit more solid.

Other than that it feels really good.

Roy,
Thanks for you time and insights. All good points.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(05-02-2020, 09:09 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: Hmm, honstly I find the synth quite strident. If you wanna go this route I'd try to balance something against it e.g. a fat deep bass or full kick. The breathes of the vocal in the verse are also very loud, I'd edit that. Other than that I appreciate your different approach and I'm curious how it'll turn out Smile

Andy,
Thanks for the listen and your comments.

Allow me to explain my thinking:

I was going for as much tension in this approach as I could as a reference to the angst the singer is portraying, hence the aggressive synth (to match the timbre and power of the guitars), and the vocals as a statement of tension. In the first verse (as opposed to the second and third) there is a guitar figure behind the vocal. While I did drop that guitar line in the mix to give more room for the vocal to be intelligible, I found I needed to get very bold with the EQ on the vocal to get it to cut against that guitar part. In listening to most other mixes, the vocal in the first verse gets lost to that same guitar part. This was my solution to that. My second and third verses have the lead vocal level reduced since there is no guitar line for it to compete against. Those verses sound a bit more cohesive. The first verse vocal level is meant to grab the ear and drive home the lyric.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-02-2020, 05:26 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 05:23 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 04:54 PM)letifer85 Wrote: Hey Mixinthecloud,

Good one!
Some nitpicking:
not a fan of the loud synth.
Interesting vocal choice, I'm not sure I'm a fan of that sound.

In general Mix is good!
Cheers!
Smile

It appears no one likes my use of the synth or my lead vocal treatment. Sleepy
Thanks for the listen and the comments.
I like the vocal treatment. Maybe it's a little too out front in the verses but I dunno. The vocals work for me.

Allow me to explain my thinking on the vocal and synth:

I was going for as much tension in this approach as I could as a reference to the angst the singer is portraying, hence the aggressive synth (to match the timbre and power of the guitars) and the vocals as a statement of tension. In the first verse (as opposed to the second and third) there is a guitar figure behind the vocal. While I did drop that guitar line in the mix to give more room for the vocal to be intelligible, I found I needed to get very bold with the EQ on the vocal to get it to cut against that guitar part. In listening to most other mixes, the vocal in the first verse gets lost to that same guitar part. This was my solution to that. My second and third verses have the lead vocal level reduced since there is no guitar line for it to compete against. Those verses sound a bit more cohesive. The first verse vocal level is meant to grab the ear and drive home the lyric.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
- Synth 1 could be loud if it wasn’t as harsh. It does not really work here unless maybe you process it differently with eq or saturation. I see it as more of a “guitar in front with supporting synth” type of song. That’s just me. It might also be better if you can control the swelling as well, because that distracted me a bit.
- Not sure how I feel about adding chorus effect to both the verse guitars and verse vocal. At least it kinda sounds that way. I would probably just add the effect on one or the other but not both.
- The breaths in the verse are way too harsh/loud. I would honestly just edit them out.
- I like the sound you got from the synth during verse 1.
- The kick could come up a tad
- Snare sounds a bit boxy. Maybe try to add a bit more air and low end punch. Bring it up a bit too.

You have some good stuff going on here, but I think that there are a couple fine tunes that need to be made in order to complete the puzzle.
Good luck!