Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Elephant - Lenni's Mix
Here's my take. Really like the song. Feedback appreciated!

.mp3    The Elephant - Robert Hammon Lennis Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.24 MB)

.mp3    The Elephant - Robert Hammon Lennis Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.21 MB)

(02-02-2020, 01:37 PM)TheLotusEater Wrote: Here's my take. Really like the song. Feedback appreciated!

For me, in the chorus, the vocal were far more present than anything else, but other than that, sounds pretty cool! Smile
Thank you for the comment, good observation!
I made a second mix, took down the chorus vocals just a notch aswell as the whole mix (bass drum + snare -0,5db; everything else -1,5db).
Nice tones TheLothusEater,
Balance sounds good, rythm gtrs sounds great and vocal as well. 3rd gtr is a bit harsh on my ears, could also get a bit more gain reduction like 0,5-1db. Transitions sounds nice. I would clean bass from honkines, which is not actually easy, as its not resonance. To me is the freq i dont likean i guess i goona hear it in most mixes. Drums sounds cool. Verwy well done! Cool delay on piano.
Thanks for listening. I will keep the bass thing in mind, but you're the first to notice. It's basically just the EQed Bass Amp track that was already there that may have some honkiness.
I find that it helps in busy parts to still have the bass strings audible, but it could be lowered in other places maybe? Will try some fader automation probably.

Edit: The 3rd guitar is just problematic naturally. It's ok at first but as a listener you kind of had your fill towards the ending. Didn't find it as prominent as some of the guys that listened to my mix, but that underlines a problem. Not sure what to do, I tried some chorus but that also makes it more wide. I tried dipping the mids with an EQ but that is just like lowering the fader, at which point you might aswell get rid of the track entirely.
I did cut of with notch filters and a bit bell curve, and because it cause the hole, i did tape starurate that part of band and pull up to not losing as much if midrange. Thst the way i tried to manage it in my mix.
(04-02-2020, 01:52 PM)TheLotusEater Wrote: Thanks for listening. I will keep the bass thing in mind, but you're the first to notice. It's basically just the EQed Bass Amp track that was already there that may have some honkiness.
I find that it helps in busy parts to still have the bass strings audible, but it could be lowered in other places maybe? Will try some fader automation probably.

Edit: The 3rd guitar is just problematic naturally. It's ok at first but as a listener you kind of had your fill towards the ending. Didn't find it as prominent as some of the guys that listened to my mix, but that underlines a problem. Not sure what to do, I tried some chorus but that also makes it more wide. I tried dipping the mids with an EQ but that is just like lowering the fader, at which point you might aswell get rid of the track entirely.

U should definitelly look up around the Soothe plugin. I like it. Help smothing up high frequencies very well.
The difference between the lead vocal in the first verse and the chorus vocals in the first chorus is not the best transition. Note the second verse/chorus does not suffer similarly. Other than that this is very good mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Whooshy drums, but on point guitar tones and overall otherwise good balances. A bit dry, and vox are too low, but other than that cannot fault much. Definitely like your idea of the mix. A little more of the synth on the sides would be nice since those nearly spoken word vox need some context.
Hey TheLotusEater,

I like the mix!
I like the dryish vibe.
Sounds like the guitar in the first verse is fighting the vocals.

In general sound good!
Cheers! Smile