Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Hour Mix Challenge "Szarad A Szaj"
Haven't done one of these in a while! I just like doing these every so often, just to see what I can come up with.

I kept a static mix in terms of automation. I could have definitely gotten a bit more energy pushing into the ending of the song with the horns and drums, but it ih, what it ih.

Thoughts on the mix as a whole? The tracks were nice and clean to begin with, but with it being live, there was some polarity flipping needed on a few tracks, but I didn't use much more than a couple of reverbs, the harrison eq and compressors, and some light multi compression on the master.

I'll get the energy up with some automation, and I think it can really hit!

Draper

.mp3    Szarad a szar Draper.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

Hey,

Nice challenge you give yourself and the result is quite good.
I really like what you did with the voice and more especially the guitar, I think this was the kind of sound I was trying to have for it but I didn't really achieve it.
I am less convince with your reverb and the violin/sax parts. I think these two are really far away, for me they could be a little louder to ad some presence and I think the reverb setting can be revised (for me I would reduced the pre-delay so that they don't seems so far away and maybe ad a post reverb eq...) (but this is a one hour work so sure it's a short time to set everything)
Also do you have some processing on the snare like a gate or something ? At the beginning (before the singing starts) it seems like you have a gate closing a bit too fast and cutting the resonnance of the snare but it doesn't really bother me after that...

The reverb on the violin/sax part is really worth being reconsidered for me but appart for that this is a really nice work, and once more I love your guitar !! Smile

Hey Chewi,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and give your critical listening assessment!

I have done a few mixes on here that I challened myself to complete in a set amount of time, and I like the way it makes me work, making me commit to choices, so making the right choice had better be quick!

Thanks for the kind words about the voice and guitar. Listening to your guitar tone, I had no issues with it at all, and thought it sounded nice, so thank you again for the comment on my guitar tone.

I agree with the sax and violin comment. I struggled to get the sax to sit right, without commanding too much attention away from the vox. My thought was that they were on a semi deep stage, with a little depth given to them via the reverb, but they definitely sound small and distant.

I don't have a gate on the snare. I do have a compressor, and I wilidly brought the high end up, and had the snare bottom mic turned up pretty hot, so i think it was just a result of how the drummer played it (unless I accidentally left on some vst i threw on real quick to try, and forget to delete).

Thanks again for the time you took to listen and comment, and thank you for the kind words, and helping steer me to a better direction!

Cheers!
Draper
Pretty good mix for a one hour. Well done. I also like your guitar tone.
The only thing that i don't like very much is the snare. It sounds to me little unnatural, high end is too much, especially on the side-stick part. But that's a taste thing i guess.
I really like everything else in your mix.