Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Enough-Die Young iiiin the mix
Hello there!
Cool song!
Fun to mixing
Cheers!
comments appreciated

.m4a    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit).m4a --  (Download: 38.32 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit).mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit V2).mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit V3).mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit V5).mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

.mp3    The Great Enough-Die Young (Dadayants edit V6).mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

I've just added a couple of versions. Which one do you like most?
In V5 tried another way to mix.
I think that the biggest problem that I don't know how the well-mixed track need to sounds on my monitors... Sad
Listening to reference tracks, unfortunately, can't help me to solve that problem. Any ideas?
Hi!

Saw your post... Sad

I think this a tough track to get a powerful hard hitting mix out of.

I am currently having a not too disimilar issue with 'The Black Crown - Flames' track. I haven't had any comments on my latest revision, so I don't yet know whether I am on the right path or not yet, and I've been thinking about this problem a lot the past few days.

I will take some time to listen through all your versions and post my thoughts in a new post. Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to take a listen and comment too.

I must state that I really have no clue what I am doing, and most of my mixes surely suck. I too struggle with this kind of thing I thought it might be a good opportunity to share some ideas perhaps?

Here are some ideas that might help, perhaps? I discussed something similar with 'thedon' a while back.

Take a break, go for a walk, etc. As well as giving my ears a rest, and time to 'reset', sometimes it also gives me an idea of something to work on or some new thing to try. I find sometimes I can get used to the 'wrong' sound very quickly. For me some days I think my ears can 'go off' after about 10 minutes or so, other days I don't seem to have this issue. Some days I find I can sometimes get used to too much bass, or not enough midrange...

If you can, check your track after a bit of a break, or maybe the next day or something? (This doesn't always work for me though). You kind of need to be able to hear your mix 'for the first time' again....

Reference tracks help a lot, but I have found that it is quite important to find the right reference tracks, as using the wrong reference tracks can set you off in completely the wrong direction, tone and balance wise. I have created some DAW projects per genre with a reference on each track, and have roughly set the levels the same. Set up the session so you can quickly (ie for a second or so) switch between each one. I have found it helps to listen to reference tracks whilst organising tracks in the daw, etc, before starting to mix, and check back to the reference tracks occasionally to see if you are on track or not.

Whilst in can help to cross reference a spectrum analyser, I try not to get too caught up in chasing it. It's useful to keep a general check on low end, low mid, mids, upper mids, top end, etc, though.

One good thing to do is to perhaps post your mix on a mixing discussion forum, as other people in the same position might be able to listen to your mix and perhaps offer some helpful advice Big Grin

Not sure if this will work for you, but something I tried the other day -

Someone commented on the guitars on my Flames mix. I did a quick tweak of them, and posted up a rev 2 mix. I then checked out some (hopefully more useful) reference tracks. and then I spent an hour or so experimenting with different eqs, etc on the main guitars, trying to get the guitars in a similar ball park to the reference tracks by ear. I then mixed the rest of the track based off the new guitar tone I had. I for sure need more practice, but I am going to try this again in future as I think it helped. Certainly got me thinking about my approach to mixing (again), anyway.

Ok, I have been listening to some music in the background whilst typing this - I'll try and check your mixes now Smile

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi,

First off, out of interest, which tracks are you using for reference? When I mixed this I used AndyGallas mix.

(My mix of this sucks I think, - I just checked Big Grin).

Ok, my thoughts are:

V1,V2,V3 - Sound a bit low mid weighted, maybe a bit dull/scooped?

Guitars bit low in mix, drums quite loud but need more mid/top. Could do with a better snare sound, or brighter snare? Kick is loud and present, but might be a bit too 'thick', might need to be a bit more punchy perhaps?

V5, V6 - Ah ok, big difference I think. To me these are sounding much better.

I think V6 is the best mix, and probably not too far off...

I feel the guitar/vox could be a little brighter around 2.5k ish, and maybe a a small amount of 200 or so on the guitar, and a touch of air overall around 10k?

Does V6 sound a bit better to you, compared to your refs, if on the master, you add, say 1.5db at 200Hz, 2 to 2.5 db at 2.5k, and say a couple of db at 10k (Q around 1)?

Not entirely sure this is of much help, but might give you some ideas.

I think the key is probably to get the kick/snare/vocal eq and balance in the ballpark compared with your reference tracks.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!