Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Roads - Rat Race
Hi,

Had a go at this cool track.

Comments welcome.

Cheers!

Update: Added ver 2.0....

.mp3    Ruby Roads - Rat Race.mp3 --  (Download: 10.25 MB)

.mp3    Ruby Roads - Rat Race 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 10.85 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Had another go at it... Added mix v.2.0. Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
It is always cool to discover how different a song can be projected through mixing. Maybe you can try de-essing the vocies on the second version and also back down the high frequencies some, especially on the drums. It might be you're driving some saturation plug a bit too hard also?
Hi!

Appreciate you listening and taking the time to comment.

Yeah, really not the best of mixes. I'll have to check but I don't recall using any saturation plugs as such. I feel I probably burned out my ears, and added far too much 8k to everything - in a vain attempt to see if I could make it sound more 'rock punk and metal' sounding.

Just out of curiosity -

The genre of this track is given as melodic hard rock. I checked out some playlists on youtube, and most of the melodic hard rock stuff sounds to me more like a modern take on popular 80's metal type of sound. Does anyone have suitable reference tracks for this, as I must admit I struggled to find anything similar. I feel I am missing something here...

EDIT: The drums - I crunched them too much with a clipper.... Big Grin Such is life...

Cheers!
I think the vocal and piano could use a bit more delay/verb.

The guitars might have a little much mids, maybe just scoop it to open up the track. Maybe..

I like the drum tone Smile
Hi!

Thanks for listening and for the comments!

Listening back today I feel the balance is a bit off too. The drums get a bit lost when things get busy, especially the kick. It's a tough mix, with the vocal tone, guitar and piano all vying for space in the mids. I also was trying for a more mid forward rock style sound too with the second attempt. Yeah scooping the guitars a bit to let the vocal through a bit more would work I think.

I recall it also taking a little bit of effort to distinguish the kick from the snare. Not too sure about adding more reverb - it mght work. It's quite a 'mushy' sort of sound anyway... One to revisit sometime though I think. It's a real challenge this one.

Cheers!
Hi

The first thing that fall into my mind is the guitar. It's really mid-heavy. It's not necesarily a bad thing, but here it just drowns out all the other stuff that's in the same area.

I was really challenged by this, because it is a busy mix, and it is a rock song, so you wanna have guitars, and lots of it, but ... yeah, it's tricky balance this one.

There's really a lot of smack in your snare drum. I like that.

Overall, it's not bad, not bad at all
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, probably could do with making a bit more space in the mix frequency wise. The mids were a side effect of attempting to make it sound more rock, than pop I think. Once I'd sort of figured out what I wanted to do with it. Got more of a Cibo Matto o someting kind of vibe off it initially, rather than rock to be honest.

Cheers!