Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
angelsaint
This is a really different song. The bass threw me off totally,put a little chorus on it. Does the overall sound seem kinda low? I noticed other peoples songs on this site are louder. I turned up the master all the way up just to make it louder.What do you think?
Hi Kostas, and it seems that you are relatively new, so Welcome!! I wouldn't worry about levels if I were you - in the mixing stage you should stay pretty low anyway, the volume can come later with mastering (we all can turn it up to hear it).
That chorus really wraps the bass around you!! It keeps it out of the other parts, but makes it fill up lots of space. It was surprising, and I think I like it!! (it gives me ideas for the future!). Your background singers are nice and wide and sound good.
In contrast with that juicy bass, I find that your lead vocal and the viola solo are very thin and could use a lot more body and presence. Keep working with EQ, and maybe try some doubling, side chain compression, and side chain delay to fatten them up a bit? Good show in all. Feel free to check out my mix of this one - I went totally off the deep end on this one and left my normally conservative approach behind, I'd love to hear how it sounds to fresh ears.
Hi Kostas,

Welcome to the Discussion Zone. Don't worry about master volume levels -- most people around here are pretty clued up when it comes to the whole Loudness Wars debate, so they'll turn your mix up if it's initially quiet.

The chorus on the bass is an interesting idea, but I wonder whether it's losing you quite a bit of mono-compatibility. Only listening on my PC speakers at the moment, though, so can't check for sure. My main comments are than the lead vocal feels a bit recessed in the verses, and also quite thin-sounding. It comes through clearly enough, which is in its favour, but it gets a bit abrasive over time. There's lots of space for it in the arrangement, so I reckon you could give it more low mids. Nice contrast between the lead and the backing vocals though -- I like that a lot.

Like a lot of people, you've rather underplayed the viola solo for my taste. From the artist's perspective, that section of the song is actually the emotional high point, more so, in fact, than the final choruses, and that hinges on the contrapuntal sparring match between the viola solo and the bass line.

Thanks for posting!
(13-01-2014, 08:32 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Hi Kostas,

Welcome to the Discussion Zone. Don't worry about master volume levels -- most people around here are pretty clued up when it comes to the whole Loudness Wars debate, so they'll turn your mix up if it's initially quiet.

The chorus on the bass is an interesting idea, but I wonder whether it's losing you quite a bit of mono-compatibility. Only listening on my PC speakers at the moment, though, so can't check for sure. My main comments are than the lead vocal feels a bit recessed in the verses, and also quite thin-sounding. It comes through clearly enough, which is in its favour, but it gets a bit abrasive over time. There's lots of space for it in the arrangement, so I reckon you could give it more low mids. Nice contrast between the lead and the backing vocals though -- I like that a lot.

Like a lot of people, you've rather underplayed the viola solo for my taste. From the artist's perspective, that section of the song is actually the emotional high point, more so, in fact, than the final choruses, and that hinges on the contrapuntal sparring match between the viola solo and the bass line.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you Mike for taking the time to say some words and give me advice.I made some changes to the vocals and made the viola solo feel more alive. Im kinda new to mixing so I appreciate advice as much as possible. I felt the bass needed a cool effect because it was really sticking out to me. lots of space to play around with plus a really interesting song.
Im only listening to headphones at the moment so Im not sure about phase and mono compatibility. Thanks for listening.
-Kostas

.m4a    angelsaint-mixing secrets 2.m4a --  (Download: 7.31 MB)