Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is This Thing Mix - My First Mix, Opinions..?
Piano: Slight low end roll off, very very slight amount of compression, and routed to a reverb aux track.

Inside Kick: Gated, Compressed and used for depth and click under other kick track.

Beater Kick: Slight boost around 85Hz, High Cut, slight compression, gated and routed to reverb aux track to help the tail of each hit due to the gate.

Snare: Low end roll off, scoop at 500Hz to try and remove some of the 'boxy' sound, slight compression and gated. Also routed to reverb channel.

Overheads: Low end roll off and low-mid scoop to encourage the snare track to cut through in its own position. Reverb channel routed too.

Bass: Most compression took place on the bass however not too much as I really tried to maintain as much dynamic as possible within this mix. High end was roll off also to try and remove some of the drums cutting through however the gate solved this problem mostly.

A fair about of automation took place on each track and no mastering was done. I would really appreciate feedback Smile

.mp3    What Is This Thing Final - Output - Stereo Out.mp3 --  (Download: 14.15 MB)

Honest opinion. I think the reverb you have chosen is a little to large of a room for this song. You want the listener to have a front row perspective. This trio has a web page with a video of them performing in a small hall. Check it out. Put yourself in that room and mix from that perspective. Also use the same reverb on a different bus for each instrument. Closest instrument should have a short ER predelay and a longer Tail predelay ( 1-2ms ER and 7-10 Tail). Instruments towards the back (Drums) should be maybe a 2ms ER and 2-3ms Tail. Adjust your send levels so that you can't really hear the reverb when everything is playing but that you can hear the mix dry up when you mute the reverb channel. Hope this helps.
Nice mix. I like it.

Apart from what ALX said about the reverb, I would not have had a high roll of on the bass, it makes it sound less defined and wooly. This also makes the bass sound distant during the bass solo. The snare sounds quite nice even though you have gated the kick beater mic. Fortunately in this recording the spill between mics is quite nice, so you could have gotten away with less processing.
Hi there, nice attempt here, i feel also like ALX about the reverb. To my taste the Ohs or drums are too wide panned also and the piano that is making the melody feels distracting panned to the Right. Perhaps the mix would benefit from a little more low end from the bass and definition. Other than that its a good job!

Keep it up!

Cheers.
http://7notasestudio.com/ My studio web site

http://blog.7notasestudio.com/ A blog i write about all things audio.