Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B - Suit You (mix 3.0)
Hi,

Had a go at this one.  I've been working at a few things and have changed my approach to mixing a bit. I think this has turned out ok? Comments welcomed as usual.  Many Thanks!

Update: Revisited. Mix 2.0 added.

Update: Revisted. Mix 3.0 added -

I felt I should maybe have another go at this one, after checking the mix following latanielvss's comments.  I also had a few things in mind that I wanted to try out, having been inspired by Digitaldruglord's mix of The Maybe Next Year's - One Flip Flop.

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 8.29 MB)

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.33 MB)

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You 3.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Nice work

I really like the snare and snare verb in the high energy parts. On the other hand I'm am not too pleased with same snare verb in the verses. And perhaps I think the guitar solo's pulled a little too far back. Did you use FX's on the solo track?

I really think that you've done a nice job here.

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
Hi,

Thanks for listening and for the comments.

I recall being in two minds whether to leave the snare as is, or not during the verses so appreciate your opinion on that. Yeah I agree that the solo could be a bit more forward. FX's on the guitar solo were 2 delays and waves doubler.

It has crossed my mind to have another go at the two Jet B tracks sometime, we'll see.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi!

Had another go at this. Comments welcomed.

Thanks!
Good job on mix 2, just pull the snare and the piano back a bit let the guitars dominate somewhat. Cheers!
Hi!

Thanks for checking it out.

Listening back a few months later I do think the piano is ok, but I agree with you regarding the snare. I also think the snare sound could use some work too. I might dig out that mix, or I might have yet another go at this one as it's a good track to practice with.

Cheers!
Mix 3.0 added -

I felt I should maybe have another go at this one, after checking the mix following latanielvss's comments. I also had a few things in mind that I wanted to try out, having been inspired by Digitaldruglord's mix of The Maybe Next Year's - One Flip Flop.

Cheers!
I've only listened to V3.0. Also, in a bad mood,a t best. What were the things you wanted to try out? Not being challenging, just curious.

As for the mix, I dunno. I'll set aside the elements that work because you got those. The vocal feels a bit...midrangy and kind of...I dunno. There's a lot going on in that piece of real estate. The vocal feels like an element of the mix as opposed to the mix supporting the lyric. It feels crammed into this vision of what a mix should be. It's exciting, overall, but I'm not sure I walk away with anything.
It feels like a meal with a lot of salt on everything. It's edible. But the steak isn't memorable. It this were Applebee's its fine. If this were a steak house I'd be livid.

I think it's great to push and all that. But don't ignore the road.
Hi!

Appreciate the comments.

The inspiration, as such, was just to try and push things just a little bit and to try and go a bit further with distortion/saturation etc than I do normally. 

I was kind of hoping not to over do it and go over the edge....
...I realised that there was a good chance I probably would though Blush

As with everything I guess I need to find the right balance.
Cheers!