Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Shiny Dog Mix
16-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Shiny Dog Mix
Hi this is my first mix on this forum, Feel free to add any comment good or bad but preferably constructive.
Thanks
Shiny Dog Audio
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
RE: Shiny Dog Mix
Hi, that is a great mix, loved the levels.

i heard it many times. the only thing that called my attention was the second voice, it sounded to me it was a little out of the song as they are not connected.

i was listen on JBL EON5151xt eq flated and optmized, didn't try other systems
02-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi Jo Comete
Thank you for taking time to comment.
I will have another look at the mix taking on board you critique.
SDA
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Mix 2
13-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Shiny Dog, i like the sound of your mix, the guitars, and acoustic instruments sound good. Perhaps i would put less reverb or fx in the lead vocals and bring it up in level, also i think the bass is a bit too loud to my taste. Good mix overall

Keep it up!!

Cheers!!

http://7notasestudio.com/ My studio web site

http://blog.7notasestudio.com/ A blog i write about all things audio.

31-12-2013, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 05:57 PM by Shiny Dog.)
(13-12-2013 11:20 PM)jorger Wrote:  Hi Shiny Dog, i like the sound of your mix, the guitars, and acoustic instruments sound good. Perhaps i would put less reverb or fx in the lead vocals and bring it up in level, also i think the bass is a bit too loud to my taste. Good mix overall

Keep it up!!

Cheers!!

Hi jorger
Thanks for your comments, I will take them on board and possibly make some tweaks.
SDA
04-01-2014, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 09:20 PM by Pedaling Prince.)
(16-11-2013 06:12 PM)Shiny Dog Wrote:  Hi this is my first mix on this forum, Feel free to add any comment good or bad but preferably constructive.
Thanks
Shiny Dog Audio

Sounds pretty good, Dog! Smile A few thoughts:

First, I'm pleased that this mix doesn't appear to pound the compression the way commercial mixes do; it's nice, smooth and easy on the ears. Perhaps a little TOO smooth, actually, by which I mean the drums don't seem to have any "punch" for some reason. Did you use some sort of limiter or compression on that snare?

Also, and I can't quite put my finger on why, the whole mix seems a little "constrained" somehow as if the middle of it was stuffed in a box. Whatever processing you applied to the fiddle and the banjo make them sound a wee bit hollow as well, and I felt the fiddle was a little too up front and the banjo not up front enough.

Also, particularly towards the final fade-out, there's a great deal of noise.

On the plus side, the vocals really stand out, which is good when you're working with vocals of this caliber. I was also intrigued by your decision to move the backing vocals to the left. With a single backing vocal track I find it's usually better to center it with the lead but I have to admit in this mix moving it to the side works. Sounds good. Smile

I'd say dial back a bit on your EQ and processing and, if the noise problem remains at the end, I'd try a gradual fade-out during the sustain on the final note to mask it.

Otherwise, some great work here IMHO! Really enjoyed it! Smile

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Visit this user's website
04-01-2014, 09:26 PM
(04-12-2013 07:05 PM)Shiny Dog Wrote:  Mix 2

OK, whoa! Nope. Don't like this all that much. WAY too much reverb on the vocals, and the drums still seem a bit flat. Though this does seem to have more stereo "space" than the last attempt. I suspect your CHOICE of vocal reverb is part of that but it needs to be dialed back a notch; I feel it's a bit too in your face here.

Despite the other comment you got, personally I liked the way the backing vocal worked in the original mix better than here; the excessive reverb buries a lot of the sonic detail.

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Visit this user's website
06-01-2014, 05:51 PM
(04-01-2014 09:26 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:  

OK, whoa! Nope. Don't like this all that much. WAY too much reverb on the vocals, and the drums still seem a bit flat. Though this does seem to have more stereo "space" than the last attempt. I suspect your CHOICE of vocal reverb is part of that but it needs to be dialed back a notch; I feel it's a bit too in your face here.

Despite the other comment you got, personally I liked the way the backing vocal worked in the original mix better than here; the excessive reverb buries a lot of the sonic detail.

Hi Pedaling Prince.
Some good advice thank you, this is what I did the mix for.
SDA
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 06:39 PM by Shiny Dog.)
(04-01-2014 09:26 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:  

I used a multiband Comp on the bus not something I normally do but I just felt I wasn't getting what I wanted from my usual comp.
I have a bit of a dilemma with drums I often feel they are far too prominent in the mix with modern music but I know that is what people expect.
The noise is the slate VTM That Needs sorting.
The reverbs I use are, TC DVR2 + lexicon LXP Room and I agree with you they do push the vocals back.

I have made a couple of very quick changers and would love to know what you think. When I have more time I will have a better Look at the mix.

SDA

.mp3   Whi I Am - Shiney Dog Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 2.82 MB)

Support my video work!
Advertisement: