Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little guide and backstory on the track
Greetings people!

I'm Jules, a solo artist from Vienna, composer & mixer of the track 'Aureus Necrosis'. Here is a little guide on how to approach mixing this song.

But first, a few words about the stems.
The drums are the Ezdrummer 2 Drumkit from Hell expansion, which is a pretty sick sounding drumkit straight out of the box. This drumkit was also used by Brendon Small on Dethklok songs.

The bass is IK Multimedia's Modo Bass, considered by many as a gamechanger with it's modelling technology, and I think it sounds great. I have used the Rick n' Bass model in this particular case.
The guitars use the PRS Archon amp plugin by Waves.

At the end of the bridge part, there are a few added elements to give the transition to the solo a more dramatic impact. It's not meant to dominate the whole mix. Same story with the synth at the end of the song.
For the second part of the solo, you have to use volume automation on the Organ and Piano.

I have provided the DI and Midi tracks too, so you can have the opportunity to shape the sound as you like.

The tempo is a bit screwed up. It begins at 120BPM, and at the verse changes to 180BPM. It slows down for the bridge part to 120BPM, and speeds up to 140BPM for the solo. After the solo, it's at 180BPM again till the end.

Pay attention to the guitars. Use multiband compression to tame on the palm mutes, especially if you are using the guitar files I've provided.

Listen to the mixed track on SoundCloud, so you can have an idea how I imagined everything regarding the panning/volume automations. It's definitely not the best mix, but you can hear the progress between the newer and the older mix versions. I'm still practicing, training my ear, and I'm definitely not a professional mixing/mastering engineer.

That pretty much sums it up.
Thank you for working on my composition, looking forward to hear what you've come up.
If you have questions about anything, feel free to message me direct on the forum, or over at SoundCloud.
Good luck, and happy mixing!

Special thanks to Mike for putting up my track.

Best regards,
Jules.
Great song, thanks for sharing it with us. Smile
(02-01-2020, 11:50 PM)Friggy Wrote: Great song, thanks for sharing it with us. Smile

Glad you dig the tune, thanks for the compliment.
(01-01-2020, 10:42 PM)js32shred Wrote: Greetings people!

I'm Jules, a solo artist from Vienna, composer & mixer of the track 'Aureus Necrosis'.

Thanks for the Multis Jules, really like the song overall and should be a fun track to mix! I noticed that the MIDI map wasn't attached to the instrument MIDI and they weren't aligned to their corresponding Audio Files (all the MIDIs start playing from the beginning of the Project) so I exported the MIDI with the Tempo Map and synced the MIDI up with their audio counterparts to make things more drag and drop friendly.

Link to the files: https://we.tl/t-pXcZP0716c

Cheers and thanks again,
Doug

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(28-01-2020, 04:41 AM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 10:42 PM)js32shred Wrote: Greetings people!

I'm Jules, a solo artist from Vienna, composer & mixer of the track 'Aureus Necrosis'.

Thanks for the Multis Jules, really like the song overall and should be a fun track to mix! I noticed that the MIDI map wasn't attached to the instrument MIDI and they weren't aligned to their corresponding Audio Files (all the MIDIs start playing from the beginning of the Project) so I exported the MIDI with the Tempo Map and synced the MIDI up with their audio counterparts to make things more drag and drop friendly.

Link to the files: https://we.tl/t-pXcZP0716c

Cheers and thanks again,
Doug
Happy to hear that you like the song. I'm sorry about the MIDI files, I completely forgot to align them. Thank you for your work!
Thanks a lot for the multi-tracks! Great song!
MacPro 5,1 - Big Sur | UAD Apollo Twin | AKG - K701 | Reaper | LUNA