Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darkride: 'Dead Enemies'
It's great fun to browse through these libraries to find projects to investigate. This came out from yesterdays session. Crank it(!) and please comment!

.mp3    DarkRide_DeadEnemies_a02.mp3 --  (Download: 12.82 MB)

BTW; The mix is targeted as it would be to be mastered for the most common streaming sites (integrated LUFS at -15.3dB). It's got some headroom, so crank it...
Would very much appreciate your thoughts on the mix!
My advice if you want feedback: Try to be more proactive and give feedback to others first. After that, invite them to listen to your mix in return Smile It may take a month or two but you will usually find other people on this forum that are in the same situation.

With that being said, I really do like some of your creative mixing decisions, but the snare in its current form is ruining the mix for me. Try this: Turn the mix down and listen to it at a very low volume, which usually reveals balancing problems very quickly. for me, the snare is very dominant with it's bright, peaky and superdry tone. It attracts my attention almost like the periodically appearing light of a lighthouse - after a few bars into the song my ears couldn't focus on anything else because the snare constantly reminded me that it is still there Smile

I haven't mixed for the last 2 years or so (so please take my advice with a grain of salt), but as a fan of that kind of music (and actually being "the guy" who recorded this song), I would use a deeper, darker snare sound, with a bit more room/reverb on it. You don't have to go crazy on the reverb. Just try to let the snare sink into the mix while still letting it push the song forward.

Summary:
- You should check your eq decisions or try a different snare sample
- You probably need more ambience (room sound/reverb)
- You probably have to bring down the volume of the snare by 1-3 db (see what works best, also depends on whether you use a different snare tone and / or more room)
Thanks for both the general advice and your thoughts on the mix!

Please find below another mix where the snare is lowered (by finding a low level where it stand out from the rest of the most important parts of the mix - which is a good way to evaluate this - as you say). The initial level of the snare was a decision made because I, as you point out, think the snare drove the song with great energy. I might have over-done it a bit and especially on some systems/headphones... (where it might pop out a bit too protrusive). With the new version the song looses some of the power though, but as you point out. If it makes the song annoying it's a no go anyway.

BTW; Love the song either way!

.mp3    DarkRide_DeadEnemies_a03.mp3 --  (Download: 12.82 MB)