Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finlay - 'Same Kind Of Life' Mix
Hi there, i'm just registered to this community and i choose this song to try the Brauer "multibus technique" in ITB.
I choose to keep the drums pretty dry except the snare/claps which has some ambient. Added a couple of cymbals in reverse, hi-pass ed the synth bass track at 80hz to give room for the kick drum and the toms which i boost at about 100hz and cutting 3db at about 350/400hz to get rid of the muddy tone.
A little shelf to the leadvox to add air, comp with a GR of about 2/3db with 4:1 ratio,medium attack fast release) and then sanded to the delay and plate reverb aux. The backing vocals was duplicated adding 30ms of delay to the 2nd one and panned L>R to get a stereo sound.
I have also eqed the piano tracks boosting 2db at 4khz and cutting 3db @ 600/700hz. All the tracks (minus the leadvocals) was routed to a dummy output and then sended post fader to the ABCD busses to mixing into compression.
Last, the ABCD and the leadvox was routed to the main bus with a compressor to glue the mix.
The mix was not mastered.
Ref 0dbvu/-18dbfs
Let me know what do you think about!
Cheers

.mp3    Finlay - Same Kind Of Life Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.19 MB)

great balance! it sounds to me though as if something is holding back the mix, not allowing it to breath, maybe the mainbuscompressor? the mainvocal maybe a little thin and harsh, but it stands out great.
thanks for your comment loupi. i'll try to reduce the amount of GR in the mainbus comp or maybe raise the attack time of it. Also, i noticed too that harshness in the main vocal so i 'll hunt and find the freq to attenuate.