Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pleasure to mix
Hi Guys

Brand new to the forum. I am a home recording/ mixing enthusiast.

This was a pleasure to mix, very well recorded for the most part which makes life easier -although a DI for the bass would've been nice!

Let me know your thoughts,

Matt

.mp3    Dark Ride Matt Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.9 MB)

Second and improved version.

Ducked the lead gtrs in the solo section 1.5 dB they seemed a little loud.

After another look at my mix settings I realised a couple of errors I hadn't spotted during the original mix: the limiter section on my 2bus compressor was active and set to clip for some reason which was introducing a fair bit of distortion, have turned it off.

Also the toms were all dead center I had forgotten to pan them, they are now panned L40 L20 center R20 R40.

.mp3    Dark Ride - BB Mastered v2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.91 MB)

3rd and final version, its amazing what escapes your attention during mixing- the send aux delay was set to mono rather than stereo which was throwing all the repeats from multiple tracks up through the center, cant believe I didnt notice.

Anyhow the result is a little more separation in the stereo field.

No more uploads on this track I promise!

.mp3    Dark Ride BB Mastered v3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.96 MB)

I've listened to 12-15 mixes of this song on here and yours is the best one so far. The overall clarity of the mix is what makes this stand out from the others I have heard. The guitars are clear but a bit loud, drums sound pretty good, maybe add more punch (possibly busing it to a compressor), vocals and harmonies sound good maybe a touch more shine on the lead. Other than those minor things, you definitely did a good job here. Are there other mixes you have done on here? Since your mix is is most comparable to mine, I'd live to hear other mixes you have done and try them out myself to see if it turns out similar to what you've done.

Happy New Year!
(01-01-2020, 03:43 PM)MassAloha Wrote: I've listened to 12-15 mixes of this song on here and yours is the best one so far. The overall clarity of the mix is what makes this stand out from the others I have heard. The guitars are clear but a bit loud, drums sound pretty good, maybe add more punch (possibly busing it to a compressor), vocals and harmonies sound good maybe a touch more shine on the lead. Other than those minor things, you definitely did a good job here. Are there other mixes you have done on here? Since your mix is is most comparable to mine, I'd live to hear other mixes you have done and try them out myself to see if it turns out similar to what you've done.

Happy New Year!

Thanks man, this is my first mix I've done from the site. I'm currently mixing Piece Of Me and finding it a tad more difficult...Anyways back to this one: the guitars are louder than other mixes, maybe because I'm a guitarist and I like them turned up to 11!I have since remixed this (again lol) after seeing some of the comments about how the guitar player was shooting for KSE As Daylight Dies. I also made a few changes to the main vocal with eq i think it stands up a bit better.

Your mix is very similar to mine- we must hear things the same way or something. Listening to some of the other mixes I felt not enough attention was being payed to the backing vox they were getting lost in too much reverb or being masked by the guitars. Such a shame because the singer gave such a great performance on this it really had to be done justice. A lot of guys pan the guitars hard left and right and with this kind of genre its definitely the modern way of doing things but quite honestly I hate it when theres too big of a space in the middle and the vocal sounds isolated from the rest of the instruments. In my mix they're about 50L 50R conveniently leaving some room at the edges for the backing vocals to just wrap around.

Ive uploaded my final mix of this song, see if you feel it has improved any. The vocal should be much more present and the snare is up slightly. I could have gone on tweaking it forever but I think this is as good as I can get it.

Happy New Year to you also!

.mp3    Darkride BB mastered v4.mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

Nice mix Smile

Cymbals/hihat are a tad too quiet; you should really bring up all the small details on the hihat/ride/cymbals with automation to make your mix even better and make it more energetic. The bass definitely needs a lot more beef or some sort of special effect in the middle passage because right now, it sounds too thin/boring while playing alone. Vocals are great. And finally, I found someone who mixed the solo passage how it is supposed to sound (solo up, vocals as support) and not the other way around.

Other than that there is not really more to say because your latest mix sounds very close to the original unmastered version. In direct comparison my mix has more ooomph and is a bit more transparent, but that a lot of that special juice/icing on the cake probably came from Ermin Hamidovics (our mastering guy)

That doesn't mean that my mix is perfect, but it's how we wanted this song to sound in the first place, so congratz for nailing it Smile
(03-01-2020, 03:10 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Nice mix Smile

Cymbals/hihat are a tad too quiet; you should really bring up all the small details on the hihat/ride/cymbals with automation to make your mix even better and make it more energetic. The bass definitely needs a lot more beef or some sort of special effect in the middle passage because right now, it sounds too thin/boring while playing alone. Vocals are great. And finally, I found someone who mixed the solo passage how it is supposed to sound (solo up, vocals as support) and not the other way around.

Other than that there is not really more to say because your latest mix sounds very close to the original unmastered version. In direct comparison my mix has more ooomph and is a bit more transparent, but that a lot of that special juice/icing on the cake probably came from Ermin Hamidovics (our mastering guy)

That doesn't mean that my mix is perfect, but it's how we wanted this song to sound in the first place, so congratz for nailing it Smile

Hey Blitzzz

Thanks for the feedback. Great track to work on. Maybe the reason the bass sounds thin in the middle is because I ducked the volume by about 6dB and bypassed the Waves R bass I had running at that point to lend a softer contrast so that when the solo kicks in it hits hard. Maybe 6dB was too much. As for the cymbals youre right I could have automated those during the denser parts of the arrangement.

I did a quick master job to get the track louder and a final EQ curve that more closely represented the Killswitch album, but yes a professional master would definitely be preferable.

Awesome playing by the way, thanks for sharing.