Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Tell Me Nice' Holiday Mix
Lots of things to like about mixing a song like this. Talk about being spoilt with fun. There are plenty of harmonies, dynamics and textures to play with. It gives good scope for variety. I make no apologies for the piano. yes it's loud, but thats the way I like it.Big Grin

A big thanks to Woven Hollow and thank you for listening. Comments always welcome.

Update 28/12/19 Mix#2 Added. Refinements based on loweche6 comments

Update 22/01/20 Mix#3 Added. Timing adjustments to Bass Guitar

.mp3    WovenHollow_TellMeNice_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

.mp3    WovenHollow_TellMeNice_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

.mp3    WovenHollow_TellMeNice_Dangerous#3 1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.32 MB)

Hey Dave!

Really nice work on your tones! And yeah, the piano might be a little loud, but I like the character it gives the song. I think my biggest nit-pick is that the vocals tickle the back of my head a little much. Maybe a bit more aggressive de-essing might help. It's not painful or piercing, but it definitely grabs my attention.

Really nice work!

Draper
(27-12-2019, 11:24 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Dave!

Really nice work on your tones! And yeah, the piano might be a little loud, but I like the character it gives the song. I think my biggest nit-pick is that the vocals tickle the back of my head a little much. Maybe a bit more aggressive de-essing might help. It's not painful or piercing, but it definitely grabs my attention.

Really nice work!

Draper

Right you are Sir! Sibilance is still an issue. Hopefully mix#2 is better. "Aggressive de-essing" was the order of the day. Quite a tough one actually! I've even tucked in a couple of the outlandish piano notes. All in the name of balance.

Thanks for the comments Draper. Big Grin
I don't think the piano is too loud lol. I made mine kind of loud. But i do think the female vocals sit just a little further back in the mix than I would like. But overall i love the blend you've got in this mix.
(22-01-2020, 12:21 AM)wildrootsmusic Wrote: I don't think the piano is too loud lol. I made mine kind of loud. But i do think the female vocals sit just a little further back in the mix than I would like. But overall i love the blend you've got in this mix.

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out. For my ears, I'm pretty happy with my vocal placement. The first verse I certainly let the male vocal shine with the female playing a more backing harmony roll, but I did reverse this through the second verse with the female lead. I did try to balance the two through the choruses and outro though. Not sure if this was how the arrangement was intended, but it seemed to work for me. An enjoyable track to work with for sure.

Thanks again
Hi Dave not what i usually listen to but your mix3 got me interested in mixing it myself,very good tones,well done.
Reaper user
Hey mate,

Yeah, it's a great tune with lots of scope in the raw tracks to make this one however you like. Have a go for sure. Thanks for the comments.Big Grin